Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

Polling Option in NOVA

A place to request Nova MODs. Note: all MOD requests are handled by third party developers, not Anodyne Productions.

Rotten_Emu Tue May 17, 2011 6:59 am

Polling Option in NOVA

I was wondering how difficult it would be to create the ability to poll my crew on certain things. For example I would like to be able to poll them on the Crew's Choice Award and possible future mission ideas, this way I want to involve them more in the development of the sim.

Is this possible or already available? If it isn't already available (but possible) would anyone be willing to create such a MOD (or perhaps explain where I can best start looking to create such a MOD myself?)

AgentPhoenix Tue May 17, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: Polling Option in NOVA

Nova doesn't have that ability by default and you'd definitely have to create something. There are third party options, like Google Docs, if you want to do something quick and dirty. That's how I handle all polling on my own sim. If you want something inside of Nova, you're talking about building a front end, back end (for managing questions and viewing responses) as well as creating several database tables to handle the data. Not easy, but also not the most difficult thing either, you just have to know your way around.

Rotten_Emu Mon May 23, 2011 9:46 am

In that case, is there someone who knows his or her way around and that is willing to try and take this on?

mooeypoo Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:01 pm

That's a feature I'm also interested in, so I might give it a jab at some point. What kind of polling do you want? can you give me some examples of type of questions and functionality that you would like to have?
Find my Nova MODs: https://github.com/mooeypoo

mooeypoo Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:00 am

So, I started looking into existing poll services (there's no need to reinvent the wheel in this case) and PollDaddy has a free account option and -- yay -- an embed feature.

See here: http://blog.polldaddy.com/2011/09/13/embedding-polls/

You can embed the javascript option in your view file. You can do that by editing the file, but if this is something people want, I don't mind making a quick little mod/plugin for polldaddy polls to be embedded directly in the main page.

So the only problem with this type of poll is that you have no way of knowing if the voters are your users/players or not. For me that's not a horrific deal, and considering the fact a poll mod will take quite a lot of effort, I think embedding polldaddy is probably fine.... but if you think you have a special need for specific mod, try to specify what it is you want it to do, what the limitations are (will it be open/closed only to players, how often will you update it, do you want it to be 'public' so people see who voted what or closed, is it open-questions or options, survey or graphs, bla bla bla).

If you specify your need, I can see if I can whip something up. I think you should visit PollDaddy first, though. It might solve your problem.
Find my Nova MODs: https://github.com/mooeypoo

Return to MOD Requests