Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

Make all saved posts read-only for logged in users

Going from SMS to Nova is a big change, so this topic is all about getting answers to the "How do I..." questions.

Williams Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:16 pm

Make all saved posts read-only for logged in users

I've upgraded one of my sims to the latest version of Nova, and one of the loopholes that was closed is the ability to view saved posts when not logged in or not an author of that post. What I want to do is change the access for viewing those posts so that you need to be logged in, but you can view saved posts when you are not the author. I don't want people to be able to edit these posts if I can help it (otherwise I'd just give them all mission posts level 2 access), but I do want them to be able to read these posts.

I haven't spent a great deal of time yet going through all of the controllers and models and such, but while I'm looking I was hoping you could narrow it down for me; where would I look to alter the check access requirements for viewing posts?
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

USS HighlanderMy Xtras Profile
ImageImage

jasoncollege24 Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Make all saved posts read-only for logged in users

Hello,

With the latest updates to Nova 2, there is no way of allowing saved posts to be viewed by someone who is not an author of the post, unless you give them full read/write access to the post (Mission Posts level 2)

This is the way it was recommended to allow players to view saved posts by AgentPhoenix in another post, but I feel this is a big security risk that can allow standard users to potentially destroy any posts within the system.

My advice for safely allowing players to read saved posts is to downgrade to Nova 2.3.2, and installing a mod that will add a tab for players to view all saved entries. Doing so may require restarting your sim from scratch, or restoring a database backup from that version of Nova.

Hope this helps.

Williams Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Yeah I know that the coding changed in 2.4, but I was looking for where that change was made so that it could be undone for certain sims like mine where I'd rather allow non-authors of a post to read it, whilst still wanting the other advantages of 2.4.

It's not enough of a thing for me to want to downgrade (and even if I did, I definitely wouldn't restart the sim to downgrade), but it's something that I'm planning to do as a part of my mod. With Christmas coming up I just haven't had the time to go through the code to find where that change in the permissions was applied yet.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

ImageImage

AgentPhoenix Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:19 am

I'm planning on adding a page in Nova 2.5 that will have a read-only view of non-activated posts to resolve this issue. There are too many moving parts with the post management screen to allow for that. No ETA on Nova 2.5 at this point, but it's on my radar.

Williams Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:44 pm

That's good to hear. I'll hold off on doing a mod in the meantime then if it's on the 2.5 radar.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

ImageImage

AgentPhoenix Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:14 pm

Here's the general idea of what will be included in 2.5 (subject to change)...

https://github.com/anodyne/nova/milestones/2.5

Return to How Do I...