Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

Krace's Skins

Nova includes a new and robust way of skinning the entire system without ever touching the core of the application. If you have questions about how to build a theme for Nova, how to modify a theme or you just want to show off your work, this is the place to do it!

Williams Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:36 pm

Krace's Skins

Thought it was about time that I start putting up some of my skins on the Anodyne Xtras site.

First one up is one that has been getting a lot of requests lately; a LCARS skin which was first requested for use on the USS Nimitz in Pegasus Fleet, and is based on the blu-ray menus for the TNG HD releases.

Included are the relevant PSD files for the images; I've included a couple of images in the head-img file for a Galaxy class and an Intrepid class. You may have to play around a bit with the images to use it for other classes; or you could change out the schematic section of the header completely to give yourself an easier time of it. Feel free to contact me if you want me to modify the header image file for you.

I'm going to gradually work to put more of my skins up on my Xtras profile. You can download any that I do put up here: http://xtras.anodyne-productions.com/profile/Krace

As a small disclaimer though; I have a personal policy of not making available a skin that I am currently using on one of my own sites; purely to try and keep mine unique and standing out from the crowd. Any skins in current use on my own sites will be made available only once they have been replaced by something newer.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

USS HighlanderMy Xtras Profile
ImageImage

Williams Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:31 pm

Re: Krace's Skins

The next skin to make its way onto Anodyne Xtras is one called Yorktown Blue. It was originally created for the USS Yorktown in Horizon Fleet, and included both the name image in the current skin, and a simple side-on view of the ship itself. The skin was later modified to only include the name image so that it could be readily customised for different sims (as not all ship classes have images like the one used in the original).

It's a very simple modern skin, using a light background colour and a clean blue colour scheme. It should be easy enough to convert it to other colours through the skin files if blue isn't your thing, though.

You can download the skin from Anodyne Xtras now by clicking on the link to My Xtras Profile in my signature.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

ImageImage

Williams Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:19 am

The next skin up is a real old one (I think I made it in 2009 or 2010) called Dark Frontier. It was based on the forums for Bravo Fleet's Future's End division at that time; hence the heavy Borg influence on its colour scheme and the background image up at the top. It was also the first skin that I started experimenting with the character information section in the sidebar. It ended up being a bit of a quick and dirty solution, since I couldn't get it to work properly with seamless substitution. All of the code for pulling in the data from the database exists within the PHP file that puts that data into a table for the template. At some point in the future I may take another look at the coding for it and adjust it to better fit in with the architecture of Nova.

Included in the download is the .PSD for the header image (which is itself just a faded image and text laid on top of Pulsar's header image) and the .PSD for the guest image (as well as the guest image itself). Instructions for where to place the guest image are on the page for the download in Xtras. Make sure not to change the GuestAv.png filename.. If you do, you will also need to change it within the main_info.php file which pulls all of the data for the sidebar together.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

ImageImage

Emily Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:07 pm

Beautiful skins! :D

Anodyne Productions :: DiscordHelp CenterXtras

Discord: @Emily#6153
Xtras: @Emily
GitHub: @ewolf90

Williams Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:44 pm

So I decided to start playing around with a new skin this week, and try out a few things. The result is the first skin I've done that I can recall that wasn't for one of my own sites or specifically asked for by someone else for theirs. I've called it Serenity:

There are a number of extra things in this skin.

First of all, I minimised duplication by having all skin sections point to only one set of skin.css, structure.css and jquery.ui.theme.css files, so that when changes are to be made across the site (such as recolouring), you only need to do it in one place, and it will cascade across the whole site. There is an overrides.css file in each skin section to define styles that are only to be applied to that skin (such as the ACP in the admin section). This goes for some images too (like the header image), but a lot of the icons (which I also changed) are hard-coded to look in specific places.

Second, I crafted a tiny mod that lets you do some logic on the new PM/new post controls when you're signed in. I don't know if it was unnecessary or not, but I couldn't figure out how to use the existing logic in the library to achieve what I wanted to so I added a bit extra. The result is that the PM and post icons themselves now change colour rather than relying on a coloured dot next to them. That allowed me to make them much more a part of the skin than before.

Third, I updated my infobox mod and added it in there. It's got some smarter logic to avoid having white space for guests, and it also now displays the 'no-avatar' image when a user is logged in but doesn't have a character pic. Just for fun, I also swapped out my old guest av picture for a random one of Q - every ship's favourite guest!

Finally, I did a bit of modification on Wolfie's manifest picture and card layout mod. They now display in departments, and open positions also show with a no-avatar character image. I also added the same style to the chain of command page to keep the look consistent.

I've got copies on my PC that lack the infobox mod or the card manifest mod, and one that lacks both if anybody wants one of those, but I've uploaded the fully featured skin to the Xtras site. The folder structure is all in the zip file, so you should be able to just upload the lot under /application/, install the skin and be good to go.

Aside from all of that, it's a fairly simple skin; nothing too fancy in terms of the style of it :)
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

ImageImage

Williams Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:59 am

I finally got around to cleaning up one of my old skins that I had running on my own site and have uploaded it to the Xtras site. This one is called Endeavour Blue (imaginatively enough, because the sim was called the USS Endeavour and the primary colour is blue).

This again uses my updated infobox mod from the last skin I added, as well as the restructuring of the skin files so that most of the changes anyone would want to make to recolour it can be found under the _global directory.

The folder structure already exists to put the guest avatar in the correct place (once again I've included a picture of our favourite guest Q), so you can just upload the folder in the zip file straight to your site and install via the skin catalogue. I've also included a PSD file for changing the main background image.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

ImageImage

AlPrunty Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:41 am

Infobox mod on the endeavour

Vorn Krace wrote:I finally got around to cleaning up one of my old skins that I had running on my own site and have uploaded it to the Xtras site. This one is called Endeavour Blue (imaginatively enough, because the sim was called the USS Endeavour and the primary colour is blue).

This looks good but how does it know which character image to use on this mod. DO they all have to be a certain dimesion like 200x200?

Will the infobox mod just select the appropriate image?

Allen

Williams Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:07 pm

The mod grabs the main image for your character (the one that shows on their bio page).

It will automatically resize the image to fit the box, so it doesn't need it to be a specific size - however it doesn't do too well with images that are wider than they are tall. Tall images are squared off nicely enough, but narrow images will leave a gap at the bottom.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

ImageImage

Stormwolfe Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Matt (Krace),

Totally awesome skins. I immediately made a beeline for Serenity....

However, despite following installation instructions to a T, I have an issue.

Where and how would you prefer I ask for help? Meanwhile, I am going to do some checking to see if I can eliminate any potential issues that might be caused by my site. I tend to think it's me, not the skin, but I am too much a novice to be able to tell by looking and will likely need some assistance.

Thank you kindly,

Stormwolfe

Williams Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:24 am

It might end up being the skin to be fair, there is a fair bit in there that I changed, I wouldn't put it past me to have left something out in my upload :)

What issues are you having?
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

ImageImage

Emily Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Beautiful work, as always, Matt! :D

Anodyne Productions :: DiscordHelp CenterXtras

Discord: @Emily#6153
Xtras: @Emily
GitHub: @ewolf90

LadyBird Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Stormwolfe Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Vorn Krace wrote:It might end up being the skin to be fair, there is a fair bit in there that I changed, I wouldn't put it past me to have left something out in my upload :)

What issues are you having?

Hey, Krace, thanks for the help!

So, before I replied to this, I wanted to eliminate as much potential issue with my site as I could (i.e. know how).

I uninstalled all but the Nova created skins.
I uninstalled all mods (didn't really have any).
Uploaded clean files from Nova 2.4.5.
Then I reinstalled the Serenity skin.

I have the same issues (illustrated with a screen shot below).

Here are the errors I get on the logs in Nova....

URL = http://rpgrealm.org/index.php/main/index which won't help much until I change the skin over to default, but I'd rather do that last minute so as not to impact my users until I have too.

Code: Select all
ERROR - 2016-02-06 22:54:35 --> Severity: Notice  --> Trying to get property of non-object /home/kfjgjiuy/public_html/nova/modules/core/controllers/nova_personnel.php 53
ERROR - 2016-02-06 22:54:35 --> Severity: Notice  --> Trying to get property of non-object /home/kfjgjiuy/public_html/nova/modules/core/controllers/nova_personnel.php 311
ERROR - 2016-02-06 23:13:14 --> Severity: Notice  --> Trying to get property of non-object /home/kfjgjiuy/public_html/nova/modules/core/controllers/nova_personnel.php 53
ERROR - 2016-02-06 23:13:14 --> Severity: Notice  --> Trying to get property of non-object /home/kfjgjiuy/public_html/nova/modules/core/controllers/nova_personnel.php 311

Here's the notice in the dark print of the site's main page (the only one I have Serenity enabled on right now).

Code: Select all
Fatal error: Call to undefined function panel_inbox_count() in /home/kfjgjiuy/public_html/application/views/serenity/template_main.php on line 139

And here's the screen shot...

For now, I do not have Serenity set as default, but I can do that on the main page if you need to investigate further.

This is all the information I could put together. If there's anything else you need, please let me know. If you need to talk to me directly, just yell and I can PM my IMs to you.

Warmest Regards and again...thank you for your assistance.

Williams Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:51 am

Yeah, looks like I may have missed one of the modified files to be uploaded when I zipped them up. I'll have a check through my files on my laptop when I get home today and see which one is missing.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

ImageImage

Next

Return to Skinning