Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

[Help] Serenity Skin Text Change

Nova includes a new and robust way of skinning the entire system without ever touching the core of the application. If you have questions about how to build a theme for Nova, how to modify a theme or you just want to show off your work, this is the place to do it!

Stormwolfe Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:12 am

[Help] Serenity Skin Text Change

Good Day,

Not sure if this is a question for the skin designer, Matt Williams, or just general, so here goes! Please move this post to the Help forum if it needs to go there or advise me if I need to post this as a problem in Xtras.

I use the Serenity skin at both of my sites. Love it! The only difference between the skins is that I modded the colors and a few images on my Aereth skin so it would be dark.

At the other site, Storm Shelter, when I pull up a saved post in view mode, it is all in italics. I have "firebugged" the heck out of it, but cannot figure out which CSS file to go to in order to correct the issue (see screenshot below).

Could someone point me at the right CSS file? From there I can run a comparison between the two versions of the skin and, hopefully, track down which area to change.

Screenshot of Saved Post in View Mode:

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Williams Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Re: [Help] Serenity Skin Text Change

Chances are this is less of a CSS issue and more an issue of an un-closed <i> or <em> tag. I get it on my sim sometimes when one of the writers forgets to close the <i> tag when putting the ship's name in the post - everything after that post is then in italics on that page.

What's the first thing on the page that is in italics? Did you add any italic tags into the template files in the skin? Firebug should be able to show you where the <i> or <em> tag is if you use its HTML inspector.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

USS HighlanderMy Xtras Profile
ImageImage

Stormwolfe Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Matt,

Thanks for getting back to me on this!

The first thing on the page showing in italics are the Mission Notes. I use <strong>text</strong</strong> there to create "headings" but no italic code.

The text in the dropdowns and header fields shows in italics as well and, of course, the post content.

What's unusual is that it's in all posts but only saved ones in view mode. All published posts are fine.

I did go over all the posts searching for <i> and <em> because open HTML tags was my first thought as well. I will do the searches again because I could've missed something. Thing is, not sure why an open HTML tag in the post content would cause all fields and even the Mission Notes to display as italics.

If I track down a miscreant open tag that I missed, I'll post back here asap. Will do the same if the search yields nothing.

Thanks lots, Matt!

Stormwolfe Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:38 pm

:oops: Blushes and hangs head in abject embarrassed misery. :oops:

Matt,

If I've not said it before, here it is!

You are a freaking genius! Also, I adore the Serenity skin! Both my sites look amazing. I do use Wolfie's Manifest Mod because I like it's NPC, LOA, Posts, labels. But overall, Serenity is awesome!

So, the reason I couldn't find an open HTML italics tag is because it did not occur to me to check Mission Notes! Hence the abject embarrassment. I never thought about that section being connected to the post content section, so MY BAD!

Problem solved!

You're awesome and I so appreciate the help!

Williams Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:01 am

Haha, no worries :) In terms of how connected everything is, once it's shown on the page, any open tags will affect anything below it on the page, regardless of the section. So if you had an open italics tag in the main menu for example, that would then make everything that appears below it italic too :)

I'm glad you got it sorted.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

USS HighlanderMy Xtras Profile
ImageImage

Stormwolfe Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:49 am

And I learned something else which is always awesome! I've come a long way from being afraid to touch anything in the skins.

Thank you again!

Return to Skinning