[Not-Urgent] Manage News Items Doesn't Show New Items

Having a problem getting Nova installed? Can't figure out why something isn't working right? This is the place to get help and report any bugs you find with Nova!

Stormwolfe Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:44 pm

[Not-Urgent] Manage News Items Doesn't Show New Items

I am sure this is somehow linked to my aborted effort to get the Send Comments to All Users modifications to work! But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out where the issue is.

The Issue: News Items are not appearing in the Manage News Items list from the ACP. See below.

However, we do have one active News Item. See below.

What I have done...

1. Checked application/logs for errors (none)

2. Deleted the applications/controllers/main.php file I modified and uploaded clean copy.

3. Deleted nova_main.php file and uploaded clean copy.

That did not fix...Next...

1. Did a complete delete of the Nova files and reinstalled them clean.

2. Did a complete deletion of the controllers in applications and installed clean.

That did not fix...Now, not sure where else to look or what steps to take next.

Help please? I do have a work around so it's not urgent (I can edit News Item, change them to Saved and then delete).

Best Regards,

Stormwolfe Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:41 am

Re: [Not-Urgent] Manage News Items Doesn't Show New Items

As a last resort for fixing this item, should I delete ALL of my Nova files and upload a clean installation? After back-ups, of course.

Thanks ~ Jer

AgentPhoenix Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Are the news items in the database's nova_news_items table?

Stormwolfe Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Thank you for getting back to me...

Well, here's an oddity! Not only that, I would have NEVER noticed it.

I have three sites. Of the three, News Items is working perfectly including Manage News Items. (Note: I only attempted to do the Send Comments to All Users on one site)...on only one site. After further investigation Manage News Items is NOT working on two sites.

I checked the databases on all three. All three have the activated news items field populated, HOWEVER...here's the weird...

I do not have a nova_news_items table in any of the 3 databases. I have....

nova_news (this is where the news items' data appears to be)
nova_news_categories
nova_news_comments

Does this mean that somehow nova_news_items was incorrectly named to just nova_news in all three? If so, will renaming it fix the issue? If I rename it, will it break at the one where it is working?

Signed

Very Confused and Grateful!

LOL

AgentPhoenix Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:31 pm

Nope, I just didn't remember if it was news and news_items. I just wanted to know if the news table was being populated with data. My first guess was that for whatever reason the items weren't being stored in the database which is why you weren't seeing them.

Stormwolfe Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:44 pm

Ahhhh...gotcha.

Sadly, they seem to be there.

I'll investigate further though.

Thankies.

Stormwolfe Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:23 pm

This is still not urgent....but I would appreciate any suggestions on what to do to address the issue. It's only an inconvenience, but I do like to clean up my News Items occasionally.

As best as possible, I compared my site with the working Manage News Items to the non-working Manage News Items site (looked at logs, files, databases) and I cannot find where the difference between the two is.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

AgentPhoenix Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Try this...

Take a site that has Manage News working as expected and change the database connection parameters to point to the site that isn't working. In theory, if it's the files, then Manage News should work on the site you update. If it still doesn't, then you know it's the data in the tables somewhere.

Stormwolfe Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:58 pm

AgentPhoenix wrote:Try this...

Take a site that has Manage News working as expected and change the database connection parameters to point to the site that isn't working. In theory, if it's the files, then Manage News should work on the site you update. If it still doesn't, then you know it's the data in the tables somewhere.

I was finally able to get back to this. Took a long hiatus from doing anything with any of my sites.

I pointed my working site at the database of the non-working Manage News site. Manage News doesn't work so, that means, I am guessing, that it's the data in the tables somewhere (per your suggestion above).

I've even done a clean install of all the files on the site that doesn't work, but I am really hoping to not have to delete the database because of having to get users to create new accounts and then upload all the bio info again (we have HUGE bios).

Do I have options other than totally deleting the site (database and all) and reinstalling?

Thanks!

Totally Baffled,

Stormwolfe

Stormwolfe Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Update 11.15.2016

Hello,

I wound up doing a clean install on both of my sites which fixed the Manage News Items issue. So, I promptly broke it again at one site. The only thing different was I added and deleted some News Categories.

I have since cleaned everything off the broken site and did another clean install. It is working perfectly, but I have not touched the News Categories!

Now, obviously, I can't state categorically (get the pun?) that this caused the issue, but it is the only thing the two sites had in common when they both broke and it's the only change I made after the first round of clean installs.

I think, for now, this post can be closed.

Regards,

Stormwolfe

AgentPhoenix Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:55 am

Thanks for the update, I'll take a look at it and see if I can reproduce the issue and what might be causing it.

AgentPhoenix Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:23 am

So far, haven't been able to reproduce the issue. Can you provide a detailed scenario for me to follow to replicate the issue?

Stormwolfe Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:28 am

Hey There!

I will try to replicate the issue on my end and give you the details, but it might be a day or two before I can tackle it.

Since no one else has reported the same issue, I feel like it's got to be something to do with how I'm doing something.

Thanks again,

Stormwolfe

Return to Help