Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

[Non-Urgent Question] Can a form be copied to another game?

Having a problem getting Nova installed? Can't figure out why something isn't working right? This is the place to get help and report any bugs you find with Nova!

Stormwolfe Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:16 pm

[Non-Urgent Question] Can a form be copied to another game?

Hi There...
I am considering setting up another site, but I really want to use the detailed bio form I have at my S.H.I.E.L.D. game...did I mention VERY involved? LOL.

Can I, once the new site is setup, download the old site's bio form from the database and upload it to the appropriate database table at the new site? Not the character data, just the bio form and its layout?

If so, would someone sell me a clue on how to do it...cheap?

Best Regards,

AgentPhoenix Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:26 am

Re: [Non-Urgent Question] Can a form be copied to another ga

The only way to do this would actually be to write some SQL queries and store the output as a SQL file so you can import those records into the new database. A few things to consider if you go down that road:

- Don't show IDs. If you do and you have conflicting IDs, you'll get errors thrown.
- You will need to make sure that you have queries for fields, values, tabs, and sections.
- You will need to write a script to insert blank data into the data table, otherwise you'll have all sorts of errors when someone tries to update their records. (This can be avoided if everyone is re-registering, though you'll still need to do it for your own record since it would have to already exist so that Nova was installed.)

Your other option might be to export the first site's database and import it into the new database and start from that site. You'd have to delete a lot of stuff, but you'd have a foundation to start from.

Stormwolfe Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:00 am

Re: [Non-Urgent Question] Can a form be copied to another ga

AgentPhoenix,
Thanks for the answer! I like the second option best, just export and import the current database. Deleting is easy. :-)

Best Regards,

Return to Help