Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

information does not transfer in upgrade from SMS to Nova

Having a problem getting Nova installed? Can't figure out why something isn't working right? This is the place to get help and report any bugs you find with Nova!

Estaban Maturin Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:37 am

information does not transfer in upgrade from SMS to Nova

http://www.cornell.graymist.net

SMS 2.6.11 - Nova 2.1.0-DS9

The upgrade from SMS runs fine, asks the few questions expected then runs.

The Nova site has no characters, no users, no posts.

any suggestions on how to make it work?

AgentPhoenix Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:18 am

Re: information does not transfer in upgrade from SMS to Nov

I did the upgrade on my own game from SMS to Nova 2 without any issues, so I'm not sure what's different about your situation. Do the error logs show any major issues after doing the upgrade process?

Estaban Maturin Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26 pm

none, it went smooth, not a problem at all.

The only thing I saw was when the page asked which players should have admin privilege there was no one in the list.

AgentPhoenix Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Then something definitely went wrong. Still, if there were errors thrown, they'd be in the application/logs directory that could shed some light on what might have happened. The other thing would be to check the nova_users table to see if there's anything in there or if there was a problem with the specific page that pulls that information during the upgrade process.

Estaban Maturin Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Didn't think to check a log document, and I have removed the Nova and put back the SMS (yes, I followed directions and backed up everything :lol: )

The nova_users table is, empty. When I browsed it in PHPMyAdmin it shows:

MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows). ( Query took 0.0003 sec )

and the structure of the table.

AgentPhoenix Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:01 pm

You'll likely need to try again and if the same thing happens again, check the log file to see if there's anything there to indicate what's happening.

Also, if your host has size limitations on your database, you may actually be out of space and unable to upgrade.

Estaban Maturin Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:47 pm

I know it's not the host since I am running a vB board with an almost 20mg sql database.

I will try it again (for the 4th time) but this time if it don't work then I will check that log.

AgentPhoenix Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Upgrading from SMS would mean that your database would actually become 40 MB since it duplicates all the data. In the event your host does have size limitations (say 25 or 30 MB), you could be crossing that and not allowing Nova to insert the data it needs to.

Try it again and see what's being logged in the error log.

Estaban Maturin Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:54 pm

tried it again with the same results

SQL nova_users:

MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows). ( Query took 0.0005 sec )

Nothing in the cornell/application/logs/ folder except .gitkeep at 0 bytes

well, I am scratching my head.

btw

sql.gz before running update: 292 KB (299,603 bytes)
sql.gz after running update: 322 KB (329,770 bytes)

AgentPhoenix Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Afraid I'm not sure where to go from here. If there's nothing in the error logs, then either something strange is going on with your server or your data. The upgrade process works because I tested it myself. Repeatedly. And my own sim is running off an upgrade from SMS...

Estaban Maturin Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:57 pm

It's not a high volume game, I will set the two up side by side and transfer manually. It's more work but I will keep the data and such.

AgentPhoenix Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:30 pm

There's no easy way to do that unfortunately. There are A LOT of changes from SMS to Nova in the database structure. Wish I knew what was going on. :(

Estaban Maturin Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:52 am

I am copy and pasting posts, data, characters from one to the other, making the people as NPCs till I get done.

The only real up side is that the CO has docked it with Starbase Haven till he can recruit players again, and he is the only one left on the ship, so once I am done, he will be the one I have to bring back into the system, and since he is playing on the Haven site I don't have to break my neck to finish his site transfers.

jasoncollege24 Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm having this same exact issue with an upgrade from SMS 2.6.10 to the latest version of Nova 2 (as of sept 5, 2012) All my results are the same as the original poster of this thread, and the database size limit is either extremely high, or unlimited. This is the second time I've run an upgrade from SMS to Nova, and the first time I had no issues.

AgentPhoenix Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Without some kind of error, there's nothing I can do about this. If one of you can provide an error of some kind, I can look in to it further, but until then, my hands are tied.

Next

Return to Help