Issue with Database import and MariaDB

Having a problem getting Nova installed? Can't figure out why something isn't working right? This is the place to get help and report any bugs you find with Nova!

belais Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:32 pm

Issue with Database import and MariaDB

At the moment, I have a server with HostDime and one with GoDaddy, but I'm not renewing the GoDaddy one. Therefore, I need to move the sites from GoDaddy to my HostDime server.

The current website is using Nova 2.4.5 (DS9) and is set for PHP 5.4.45 on a GoDaddy Windows server.

Here's what I did:
I went into phpMyAdmin and exported the SQL database. I installed Nova 2.4.5 (DS9) onto my HostDime Linux server.

I then tried 2 different things:
1. Importing the database from the GoDaddy server...which gave me this error (and the database wasn't imported at all, though I did delete it and create a new one just to be safe)
"#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 4 "

2. Went through the normal install process for Nova using a new database. When I did this, I got FAILED on the Verify Server Requirements.
Database Version Required: 4.1, - Database Version Actual: 10.1.21-MariaDB Result: FAILED

When I did option 2 and continued anyway, I was able to install Nova.

It seems that Nova is having issues with MariaDB. I put in a ticket with my hosting company and as far as they're aware, there's no issue on their end and they suggested I contact Anodyne regarding compatibility with MariaDB.

So, is there something I'm missing which is why MariaDB is a problem with Nova? Is there anything I can do so I can import the Database from the original server?

Please let me know ASAP - I'll lose access to the original server in the next 2 weeks, so I need to get this resolved ASAP.

Original site location: http://usslegacy.legacyfleet.net/nova
New site location: http://usslegacy.kersare.net/nova

AgentPhoenix Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: Issue with Database import and MariaDB

While we don't officially support MariaDB (and won't with Nova 2), it should be pretty much a straight drop-in replacement for MySQL. That much is apparent since you were able to install Nova without any issues. (And the site can be accessed and navigated without issues too.)

Since the issue you had was with an import of a MySQL database into a MariaDB database, it makes me think there's actually an issue with the SQL that was generated from the old server. Did you look at the line the error message pointed out?

belais Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Honestly I'm not up to speed with the technical bits surrounding MariaDB vs MySQL. I know I'm still using phpMyAdmin despite my host now using MariaDB (I didn't even know they had switched).

It's been a LONG time since I've searched SQL code and I'm not sure what kind of query I'd need to look at that line. If you tell me, I can check it.

Here's the entire error message I get when attempting to import (I tried doing a new export and checked an option to make it compatible with MYSQL40 just to try something different):

Error
SQL query:

--
-- Database: `kersare_legnova`
--
CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS `kersare_legnova` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET ;

MySQL said:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 4

AgentPhoenix Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:37 pm

If the database already exists, you can try removing the line that tries to create the database. Haven't gotten into the weeds with MariaDB at this point, so I'm not sure if there are small differences that are causing issues.

belais Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Most of what I've done with SQL databases has been in phpMyAdmin and it's mainly been limited to exporting/importing and manually changing things (with a few exceptions of doing queries, etc but that's been awhile).

So, I could try what you suggested, but I need to know how.

(I've tried doing this with a completely blank/new database and with one that already exists, by the way, and get the same error.)

AgentPhoenix Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 pm

I'm just saying delete the whole line from the SQL file. If the database exists and you're importing into it, removing that shouldn't have any impact. It would at least shed some light on whether that line is the culprit or something else.

Return to Help