[Desperate] Site Page Refresh, Database Response Issue

Having a problem getting Nova installed? Can't figure out why something isn't working right? This is the place to get help and report any bugs you find with Nova!

Stormwolfe Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:22 pm

[Desperate] Site Page Refresh, Database Response Issue

This is essentially the same issue as in the thread found in this thread: http://forums.anodyne-productions.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=18944.

I am opening a new thread because the host is no longer Hostgator. The identical issues are occurring with my new host, A2 Hosting.

Issues:

1. System settings do not appear to have updated on the site, however, the new setting shows in the database (i.e. default email address shows as the old one, but the new one appears in the database).

2. Pages do not refresh and update post count numbers for saved posts (Notifications in ACP).

3. Pages do not update to reflect published post (posted post).

What I've Done:

1. Completely and totally uninstalled the site, deleted the databse, all the files and re-installed the site.
2. Turned off opcache in PHP Version.
3. Did Not change mysql to mysqli in my files. Both options are checked on the PHP version page.

Help Me - Obi Wan Kenobis! Seriously desperate here.

1. What else can I check, change, update, fix?
2. Would it be safe to use the code from the previous thread referenced above?
3. Most Important: Can anyone advise me regarding what I need to ask or state in a support ticket to A2? I honestly have zero idea what to ask at this point. At the end of my knowledge rope.

Last but not least: Is there a way or is there someone that will look over the pertinent files and/or database?

If I can think of any other information to supply or if anyone has specific questions, I will gladly supply answers if possible.

Thank you all ahead of time for any help!

AgentPhoenix Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Re: [Desperate] Site Page Refresh, Database Response Issue

It's generic code, so you can safely use it on any host. Try showing support the code that fixes the issue and see if that gives them any ideas of what might be causing the issue. Also mention that you left Hostgator to come to a2 because they didn't have the issue... and now they do. Clearly they made a similar change that Hostgator did (or a PHP/Apache/Nginx update version update had some sort of caching baked in).

Stormwolfe Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:28 pm

AgentPhoenix wrote:It's generic code, so you can safely use it on any host. Try showing support the code that fixes the issue and see if that gives them any ideas of what might be causing the issue. Also mention that you left Hostgator to come to a2 because they didn't have the issue... and now they do. Clearly they made a similar change that Hostgator did (or a PHP/Apache/Nginx update version update had some sort of caching baked in).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have submitted a ticket to A2 with all the information above and detailed description of what is happening. I have not installed your workaround/fix code yet. I want them to look at it first. If they don't have a clue, I'll update my files with the code.

I appreciate the help more than you can know! I am learning from each problem I have but I do run into a brick wall on the amount of knowledge I have.

Stormwolfe Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:05 pm

Update...

My first response from A2 is posted below. I'd appreciate feedback on its veracity. I have pushed back and asked if that was the issue, why have I had no problems from my sites until the last few days?

If updates to the site are not visible in the browser, the behavior is likely caused by browser caching. We can see that currently, files cached by the browser are kept for 1 year as defined by the .htaccess rules set in your .htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 year"
</IfModule>

This directive turns on browser caching and tells the browser to save cached files for 1 year. If desired, you should be able to disable browser caching be removing or commenting out these lines.

Browser caching is a recommended site optimization as it reduces the number of server requests needed by repeat visitors on the site. Recommendations for properly implementing browser caching are available here:

https://gtmetrix.com/add-expires-headers.html

If this does not resolve your concern or we have misunderstood the issue, please provide us with exact steps to replicate the behavior so that we can better understand your concerns. In this example, if we could have steps/credentials to log in to your sites back end, change the e-mail address, and let us know what pages we can see this on, this will help us better understand the issue.

Stormwolfe Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:38 am

Update in case anyone else has this same issue.

A2 support commented out the following lines from my site's .htaccess file.

Code: Select all
#<IfModule mod_expires.c>
#ExpiresActive On
#ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 year"
#</IfModule>

So far, knock on wood, it seems to have fixed all the site's issues with caching. I am still testing.

I know the site seems to be working, but could anyone tell me if taking those lines out of the .htaccess file makes sense to have fixed everything? I am just curious.

Also, I looked at the .htaccess files at my remaining Utopia-Host / Hostgator sites, but those lines are not in any of the files there. I do not know if they ever were or not because I did not handle the issue directly with Hostgator since Utopia-Host is a reseller. I am going to forward this information to Marc at Utopia-Host.

I still do not see how the .htaccess file could have been the culprit unless A2 and Hostgator installed some kind of mass update that changed that file. But, gift horses and mouths!

Return to Help