outdated Nova won't show update notification after migration

Having a problem getting Nova installed? Can't figure out why something isn't working right? This is the place to get help and report any bugs you find with Nova!

jasoncollege24 Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:49 pm

outdated Nova won't show update notification after migration

Website link: http://seraphina.jasoncollege24.com
website link 2 http://uss-sarek.jasoncollege24.com
Nova Version: 2.4.5
Browsers checked: Chrome, and Firefox
Tried default skin? Yes I always use the default skin on Sarek, and checked on Seraphina too
Searched forum? Yes. I found one topic concerning this where someone had this same problem, and only asked how to force an update. They were told how, but the root cause was never mentioned there.

Before these two sites were migrated, they were at two very different locations. One could not be updated due to outdated server software, and the other I just hadn't tried updating yet.

After migrating both sites, the update notification never appears. Since I'm going to be updating both, I'd like to ensure that future versions have this notification, so I'm wondering if maybe there is a configuration problem on the server that's preventing it, or maybe something I'm just missing after migration?

All other features seem to work fine. Thanks in advance!

AgentPhoenix Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Re: outdated Nova won't show update notification after migra

First thing to check is to make sure there's nothing in the database telling Nova to ignore a specific version. You can check that by going into the nova_system_info table and checking the sys_version_ignore field. If there's anything in it, clear it out.

The next thing to check is if allow_url_fopen is turned on for the server. Nova reads from a file on the Anodyne server, so if allow_url_fopen is turned off, it won't be able to get the version information. There's no way to check that within Nova, so you may have to dig in to the PHP INI file or check with your host to see what they say about it.

jasoncollege24 Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:55 pm

Re: outdated Nova won't show update notification after migra

Thank you! It was due to allow_url_fopen option being disabled for php. Both sites are showing the notification now. :)

AgentPhoenix Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:50 am

Return to Help