Permission issues installing or updating to 2.4.x (cPanel)

Having a problem getting Nova installed? Can't figure out why something isn't working right? This is the place to get help and report any bugs you find with Nova!

jasoncollege24 Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:34 am

Permission issues installing or updating to 2.4.x (cPanel)

I've heard stories of people getting internal error 500 when updating, or installing Nova 2.4.x using cPanel's built in file manager

I've located the cause of this problem. When using cPanel's file manager to upload the nova zipped file for 2.4.x then use the file server's extract feature, files are extracted with the wrong permissions.

This is because the files within the zipped file contain the wrong permissions when they are placed into it. (eg they are zipped with 666 permissions instead of 644)

I confirmed this by using cPanel's file manager to upload, and then extract 2.4.4 and 2.3.2 as test installs

2.3.2 files upload and extract with the proper permissions. 2.4.x does not.

A work around for this would be to extract the files onto your own hard drive, then use an external FTP app, such as filezilla. (This workaround works in windows XP and later, but not sure about Linux due to the way it handles permissions.)

AgentPhoenix Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:54 am

jasoncollege24 Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:58 am

Re: Permission issues installing or updating to 2.4.x (cPane

Any time, good sir! Glad to help where I can :)

Beavercorp Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:53 am

Sorry to necro this post. But I`m having weird issues related to this on www.starshipprovidence.com

I can`t post mission logs. But "test" was submitted by another player.
A different player cannot upload their personal history.

It's weird we just want to post. The index.php permissions that I uploaded on filezilla were 644. So I have no clue what to do!
Captain Tolan Karr

jasoncollege24 Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:12 pm

This doesn't sound like an issue with file permissions. It sounds like something is corrupted.

Try completely deleting the /nova folder, and all of it's contents, then upload it fresh, and try using your site again.

Return to Help