[Not Urgent] Database Post_Location Text Length?

Having a problem getting Nova installed? Can't figure out why something isn't working right? This is the place to get help and report any bugs you find with Nova!

Stormwolfe Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:58 pm

[Not Urgent] Database Post_Location Text Length?

Good Day,

I have used seamless substitution to alter my language files so that my post header information displays differently.

Instead of...

Title:

It is now...

Title:
Time & Location:
Tags:

See screenshot at end...

The reason is that several of my members would like to see in their email headers if they need to do something with the post immediately (i.e. is their character tagged), are the tags open, etc.

My question is: Do I need to change the post_location column's setting in the database from varchar(255) to something else (and if so, please make recommendation) to accommodate both time and location in the one field?

Thank you!
~ Stormwolfe

Screenshot

AgentPhoenix Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:58 am

Re: [Not Urgent] Database Post_Location Text Length?

I don't think you'll need to change the column type. Below is a 255 character string, so you can see just how much information you can get in that space:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor.

If you do find that you need to change the column type, just moving it to a text column would be fine.

Stormwolfe Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:05 am

Re: [Not Urgent] Database Post_Location Text Length?

Thank you very much!

I've mandated that we keep the data going into those fields as concise as possible so it should not become an issue. I am, unfortunately, pretty clueless on databases.

As always, I appreciate the help!

Blessed Be,
~ Stormwolfe

Return to Help