[Help/Advice Needed] Contact Form Spam

Having a problem getting Nova installed? Can't figure out why something isn't working right? This is the place to get help and report any bugs you find with Nova!

Stormwolfe Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:05 am

[Help/Advice Needed] Contact Form Spam

Good Day,

Once again, one of my sites is being spam assaulted via the Contact Form. I have actually deleted the form entirely and changed the site's email address to no avail. I am going to delete the site's email address and change it.

We have also banned the spammer's IP address and both email addresses used. It has not helped at all.

Unfortunately, we are still receiving the emails. It is my belief that the spammer has captured the actual URL of the contact form and is continuing their attack using that.

I know there is a mod on Xtras that allows you to add an anti-spam captcha to the contact form, but it is rather complicated for someone like me to install (i.e. someone with next to zero idea on anything to do with how the code works). I am going to try to get it onto my test site but not sure it will stop this attack by installing it "after the fact".

Since yesterday, we have probably received close to a 100 of these spam messages.

A copy of the email is below...

Code: Select all
criminal records database galveston county texas free

You can federal inmate lookup system and norfolk virginia public criminal records. All in all, public arrest records va free, how to get a background check free or st johns county florida public records. Not only background investigation form federal , but west virginia criminal offender search as well.

Recipient Information: prev (dusttingpavel@yandex.com), 146.185.223.186

Can anyone advise me of what else I can do to stop this spam assault?

Thank you for any advice and/or suggestions! Am desperate!

AgentPhoenix Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: [Help/Advice Needed] Contact Form Spam

It's not an ideal solution, but if you aren't using the contact form, you can override the controller method and just die with a simple message so a bot can't hit the page. Just update the application/controllers/main.php file and add the following method to the class:

Code: Select all
public function contact()
{
    die('Due to ongoing spam issues, the contact form is no longer available.');
}

Emily Thu May 04, 2017 9:17 pm

You could also try using the Contacts Page ReCaptcha 2 mod on the Xtras page. I have not personally used it on one of my own websites but I have seen it in action on others.

Stormwolfe Thu May 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Emily,

I have looked at it and might yet try to get it to working on my test site. However, either I'm too low tech or am just missing something... The couple of times I've tried to install it, I've killed my site.

Thank you so very much for responding.

Return to Help