Database Error, Unable to Connect?

Having a problem getting Nova installed? Can't figure out why something isn't working right? This is the place to get help and report any bugs you find with Nova!

tobystoy Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Database Error, Unable to Connect?

I was updating my site from the version of nova that i had from 11 months ago, and I stumbled across this error when trying to connect with my database:

A Database Error Occurred
Unable to connect to your database server using the provided settings.

Filename: core/leader.php

Line Number: 347

I don't know how to solve this. Could anyone help me? Thanks!

AgentPhoenix Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:30 pm

Re: Database Error, Unable to Connect?

Minus your username and password, what does your application/config/database.php file look like?

tobystoy Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 pm

On the database? I deleted the database to start over because the purpose of the website has changed and I needed to start over.

AgentPhoenix Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:54 pm

The reason you get that error is because it can't connect to the database. If you've deleted the database to start over, then you'll need to re-install the system. The easiest way to get around the error at that point is to delete the application/config/database.php file and then go to the installer.

tobystoy Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:50 pm

How would I re-install the system? And where is the application/config/database.php file? In the database or in the file I downloaded from Anodyne?

AgentPhoenix Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:56 pm

That's the path to the file. When you're looking at the list of files on your server, there's a folder called application with a folder called config inside that. Inside the config directory is a file called database.php that you should delete off your server.

When you've done that, you can just navigate to your site in your browser and Nova will kick you over into the installer.

tobystoy Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:58 pm

That's what I thought, but the problem is that there is no database.php file within the config folder. The only files close to database.php alphabetically are constraints.php and doctypes.php.

AgentPhoenix Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:47 am

Go to your http://{yoursite}/index.php/install and see if it'll fire up the install process.

tobystoy Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:37 pm

It's giving me the same error

AgentPhoenix Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:59 pm

If that file doesn't exist, it's supposed to be kicking you over. Not sure what's wrong with your server that it isn't. Try going directly to http://{yoursite}/index.php/install/setupconfig and see if you can go through the process of creating the database config file with the wizard.

tobystoy Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:02 pm

My problem appears after that. It shows up after I put in the database name, username, and password.

AgentPhoenix Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Have you verified your database connection credentials with your host?

tobystoy Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:04 am

Sorry for the late reply. How would I do that?

AgentPhoenix Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:19 am

Open a support ticket or email them or whatever and ask for confirmation of the database credentials. They'll likely reset your database password and give it to you or tell you where to go to reset it.

Return to Help