Changing Characters without logout?

Use this forum to talk about Nova and ask any questions you may have about it. Please use the Help & Support forum if you have found a bug or need help getting something working.

kplummer Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:06 am

Changing Characters without logout?

Can you change characters without logging out? Am I doing something wrong?

AgentPhoenix Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:05 am

Re: Changing Characters without logout?

Nova separates users and characters, so when you log in, you're logging in to a user account. Characters are associated with your user account and you can edit their bios and post as them when you're logged in to your user account. So to post as a secondary character, you'd simply go to the posting page and select which character you want to post as. Same goes with editing bios as well, just go to the edit bio page and you'll be able to select which character to update.

Prgrmr4Christ Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:01 pm

Where on the posting page is the character selected that can be for the comments? I see that for the posts say for mission post, but not for say comments on mission posts. Am I missing that?

AgentPhoenix Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:47 pm

Comments in Nova don't allow selecting the character they're posted as. Comments are an OOC thing, not an IC thing. Nova just uses the user's main character as that's what most people know the user as (and the user's name isn't required).

Prgrmr4Christ Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:18 pm

May I suggest that as an upgrade then?

AgentPhoenix Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:29 am

We're not going to make that change in Nova 2. Comments are an OOC thing. If anything, comments should be displaying the user's name instead of a character name, but we're not going to make that change for Nova 2 either. Nova 3 will show the user's name or nickname for comments (since name is required with Nova 3).

DeathKitten Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:11 pm

AgentPhoenix wrote:We're not going to make that change in Nova 2. Comments are an OOC thing. If anything, comments should be displaying the user's name instead of a character name, but we're not going to make that change for Nova 2 either. Nova 3 will show the user's name or nickname for comments (since name is required with Nova 3).

Will it also use the user's name/nickname for PMs too?
Captain Amelia Waterhouse of the USS Joshua Norton, a Clandestine Operations sim.

Come chat with us on Discord! discord.gg/3bUmudQ

AgentPhoenix Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:21 am

Name is required in Nova 3, so there won't be any getting around that. We understand that some people may be sensitive about using their real name, so there will also be a nickname field. If something exists in the nickname field, then we'll always show the nickname instead of the real name.

The goal is to try to break the dependence on characters since those can change over time. Better to use a name/nickname in places that are clearly OOC content (private messages, comments, forum, etc.) than a character name that could change.

Prgrmr4Christ Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:47 pm

I don't suppose in Nova3 there will be an option to have comments post as characters, since my group plays by comments. Or will that require a mod?

AgentPhoenix Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:45 pm

Likely will require an extension.

Return to General