Has Anyone Added Captcha? Blocking Contact Us Form Spam?

Use this forum to talk about Nova and ask any questions you may have about it. Please use the Help & Support forum if you have found a bug or need help getting something working.

Stormwolfe Sat May 02, 2015 11:20 am

Has Anyone Added Captcha? Blocking Contact Us Form Spam?

Good Day All,

Has anyone added a captcha or recaptcha type feature to their Contact Us form (page)? We have recently, at both my websites, started getting persistent spam from one person. I have blocked his email and his IP address at both sites and he just goes around them.

I have reported his IP address, his alleged website, and his email to blacklists.

We use our Contact Us form heavily for inquiries about the games, but due to this spammer, I've had to turn them off. We keep our Join Pages turned off and require that a new Player contact us for the link. We're small and will always be small so this has worked well for us.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions or has installed a captcha type feature - could they let me know and give the level of difficulty of doing it for my site... using village idiot instructions? I am not anywhere close to being a technical type person.

Blessed Be,

Thank You

Azmaria Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:29 am

Re: Has Anyone Added Captcha? Blocking Contact Us Form Spam?

I've been trying to do this as well. I've gotten the recaptcha to show up and physically work on that page but I can't figure out where any sort of validation is so it's little more than a visual deterrent.

Blessed Be

Azmaria Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:35 am

I figured it out with the help of a programmer friend in Switzerland! Here's a package for installing it with (hopefully) simple instructions. It changes a couple core files, so if you have mods or upgrade Nova, you'll have to do some extra work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/33eskk8wdb96q ... a.zip?dl=0

AgentPhoenix Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:33 am

This really isn't the appropriate way to do this. What should be done is that this code should be converted to use seamless substitution (so that it doesn't modify core files) and uploaded to AnodyneXtras. If a year from now the user deleted the file off their Dropbox account, no one would be able to do this for their sites. There are a bunch of people on here that know how to do this, so I'd recommend reaching out to someone (particularly someone who already has content on AnodyneXtras) and seeing if they'll help you with that.

Thanks for the contribution!

Azmaria Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:31 pm

If you knew the 'right way' of doing it already, why not do it yourself? Anyway, as Nova 3 is being worked on and is supposed to debut soon, I don't expect further updates and the code snippets are easy enough to transplant. As for me doing it the 'right way' I've already got core files modified from other things so for me, this is the solution for my custom nova installs. I'll work on a simpler, more 'right way' install later. For now, it works, which is more than anyone else seems to have done. (And I did make notes to back up the 2 files changed...)

Blessed Be

Williams Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:08 pm

I don't think David was on about the 'right way' to implement Captcha - I think he was on about the best way to share the modification. Like he said - if it only exists on your dropbox and that account ends up getting shut down for whatever reason at some point in the future, then the mod may no longer be available for people to download it if they wanted it to use themselves.

It's fairly simple to upload a mod to AnodyneXtras, which will then mean that it's stored here for as long as Nova is. Once you have an Anodyne account, go to http://xtras.anodyne-productions.com, click on your name in the top-right, then click Create new Xtra. Set the type as a Mod, and just fill in the rest of the details.

It's worked quite well for sharing skins so far (I've actually noticed a lot more people using skins that are up there than there had been when they had just been linked on the forums somewhere).
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

USS HighlanderMy Xtras Profile
ImageImage

Azmaria Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Fair enough. I just get upset easily lately it seems. that and i just realized i haven't taken my pills since yesterday morning... I'll look into the Xtras section when I'm not off my rocker.

Blessed Be

Emily Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:31 pm

Thank you for sharing this, Azmaria! It's very helpful! Nova can get quite a lot of spam messages via the contact form, as I've noticed over the years.

AgentPhoenix Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:54 pm

Matt's correct, I just want to make sure that other people are able to use this even if the file vanishes from Dropbox. I apologize if that wasn't clear.

If you're gonna look at that too, the other thing to do before putting it on Xtras is make sure it's not modifying core files. You don't have to change anything in your implementation, just in the instructions you give. We don't want to be encouraging people to change core files because when an update goes out, those changes will be wiped away.

Emily Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Well, I know in general it isn't considered good to edit core files. But, are there going to be any other Nova 2 updates?

AgentPhoenix Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:42 pm

I'm working on Nova 2.4 which is a re-write of the email stuff to move away from CodeIgniter's email class to SwiftMailer. No ETA on that. I'm also open to hearing what other sorts of things people would like to see in Nova 2. No promises, but I'd love to hear what people want in Nova 2.

Azmaria Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:01 am

AgentPhoenix wrote:You don't have to change anything in your implementation, just in the instructions you give.

So there's a way to just drop the 2 files in an override folder in the applications folder somewhere that I've yet again missed? o.o

AgentPhoenix Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:52 am

There are 2 components to Nova's controllers, the entry class and the class it extends from. The entry class is in application/controllers and the class those extend from are the core controllers. If you want to replace what Nova is doing (or modify it), you can copy the method from the core class to the entry class and make your changes in there. By doing that, it keeps the core files untouched so that when they're updated, your changes stay intact.

For view files, the application/views/_base_override directory mirrors the structure of the core's views/_base folder. If you want to change one of the views for the entire system, you can copy the file from the core to the base override folder and make your changes. Nova will see that file and use it instead of the file in the core. Again, in the event of an update, your changes won't be touched. (View files are a little different because skins actually have higher priority than the base override, but the base override has higher priority than the core.)

That's it in a nutshell anyway. Just shout if you need clarification.

Azmaria Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:42 pm

that makes perfect sense... o.o thanks! i'll try that out on my test install later today.

Azmaria Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:29 am

Took forever to get around to doing because of RL medical issues. Anyway, this will be submitted to the Xtras thing shortly but the zip file in the link above is the updated version, if anyone needs it in the time it takes for it to be added to the Xtras thing.

Return to General