[Idea, Thought, Suggestion] Word Count Tracker

Use this forum to talk about Nova and ask any questions you may have about it. Please use the Help & Support forum if you have found a bug or need help getting something working.

Stormwolfe Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:27 pm

[Idea, Thought, Suggestion] Word Count Tracker

Good Day,

This was just an idle thought as I was working on one of our massive JPs at my fantasy game... This might belong in Nova 3 requests or elsewhere...apologies if in the wrong place.

A word count tracker on posts would be a nice feature or mod. Right now, I copy/paste the post into a GDoc or word processor to get an idea of the number of words. We try to break huge JPs into more reader friendly lengths.

So, just a thought.

Regards,

Jericho

mooeypoo Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Re: [Idea, Thought, Suggestion] Word Count Tracker

Incidentally, I was asked to do this for a sim I'm in, so I whipped a quick mod up.

I didn't want anyone to fuss with too much code, so it's an overlaying javascript. All you need is to copy/paste the gist into the application/views/_base_override/admin/js/write_missionpost_js.php page:

https://gist.github.com/mooeypoo/48514d2841da5083c5b0

You can also set up a soft limit -- the system won't prevent the user from typing long posts, but it can display a note of your choice after a certain word count is reached. To configure that, you need to add two parameters to the user defined configuration options. It's written in the comments in the code above, just follow the instructions and let me know if you get stuck.

Enjoy!

~mooey
Find my Nova MODs: https://github.com/mooeypoo

Wyman Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:26 pm

My apologies for the thread necro, but I'm a tad stumped.

I got this more or less up and running, in that it's showing a word and character count on the write mission post page. But I can't get a limit or a limit message to work. I set them as I want them, hit submit, and I get a white page with "Disallowed Key Characters." on it.

mooeypoo Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:17 pm

Wyman wrote:My apologies for the thread necro, but I'm a tad stumped.

I got this more or less up and running, in that it's showing a word and character count on the write mission post page. But I can't get a limit or a limit message to work. I set them as I want them, hit submit, and I get a white page with "Disallowed Key Characters." on it.

Did you add 'logcountLimit' and 'logcountLimitMessage' in Nova user defined settings? Where do you see that message?
Find my Nova MODs: https://github.com/mooeypoo

DeathKitten Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:19 am

For anyone who stumbles on this thread, I just want to say that I've successfully installed this mod onto multiple novas, and I absolutely adore it. It's now on my list of first things to do with a fresh nova install. ^_^

Thanks moo!
Captain Amelia Waterhouse of the USS Joshua Norton, a Clandestine Operations sim.

Come chat with us on Discord! discord.gg/3bUmudQ

Return to General