Gripes with Nova

Use this forum to talk about Nova and ask any questions you may have about it. Please use the Help & Support forum if you have found a bug or need help getting something working.

DeathKitten Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Gripes with Nova

So, this isn't so much of a gripe as a question.

How much of a pain in the ass would it be to have Nova generate a sitemap? Like the sort that one submits to Google's webmaster tools, helping the google bots (and other search engines) better crawl the site.
Captain Amelia Waterhouse of the USS Joshua Norton, a Clandestine Operations sim.

Come chat with us on Discord! discord.gg/3bUmudQ

AgentPhoenix Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:18 am

I've actually never looked in to something like that, so I don't know.

DeathKitten Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:08 am

I suspect it's a feature that would help games in getting new players, if Google and other search engines can easily index the site and potentially draw new players in. So, if you get the chance, it's a feature I'd highly recommend tossing into the mix. However, if it's amazingly stupidly complex to do, I doubt it's that important.

Either way, I'd appreciate it if you'd at least consider and look into it. ^_^
Captain Amelia Waterhouse of the USS Joshua Norton, a Clandestine Operations sim.

Come chat with us on Discord! discord.gg/3bUmudQ

AgentPhoenix Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:52 am

At this stage, you're probably better off using something like XML-SiteMaps to generate an XML file for your site. I may look at creating a highly generic one for a future version of Nova, but it's certainly not a priority at this point.

Penta Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:38 am

Minor, minor gripe: If you can set a lock by accident (say on a post) you should be able to unset it, too. I can't say how often I accidentally click on a post...and therefore lock it when I don't intend to.

AgentPhoenix Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:04 am

Penta wrote:Minor, minor gripe: If you can set a lock by accident (say on a post) you should be able to unset it, too. I can't say how often I accidentally click on a post...and therefore lock it when I don't intend to.

Admins can release locks from the Writing Control Panel. You'll see a little lock icon that if you click will let you release the lock on a post, whether you created the lock or not.

mooeypoo Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Guys, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I would like to pitch in here.

AgentPhoenix is working hard on Nova -- fixing up nova2 and building nova3, which is destined for awesomeness. All these "gripes" and "issues" should be split into two:

• Real bugs: Those should be reported to AgentPhoenix so he can address them in case they appear.
  • "Gripes" and "Requests": These should be posted in the Mod Request forum, as it exists for that exact purpose.

I can't speak for other mod programmers, but when I have a bit of time and want to play around with code, one of my first visits is to the nova forums. I am looking for people's questions for ideas for mods. AgentPhoenix doesn't have the time (and shouldn't get into) individual requests that are meant for individual sims, but that's exactly the purpose of mods, isn't it?

So, guys, if you have specific problems or if you have specific requests -- post them in the mod request forum. If I can help by creating a solution for you without messing up Nova, I will. If I can't, at least you gave it a try in a place that can actually solve your issues.

When I have time to program, I am looking for new challenges. Feel free to give me some, you might actually get me to solve your problem without having to give up because you assume no one else wants it, or without having to try and convince AgentPhoenix it's a problem with the main code.

Cheers!

~mooey
Find my Nova MODs: https://github.com/mooeypoo

Previous

Return to General