Best Webhost

Use this forum to talk about Nova and ask any questions you may have about it. Please use the Help & Support forum if you have found a bug or need help getting something working.

jfiddle Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:46 pm

Best Webhost

Hey guys,
I want to leave my webhost. I use Hostgator, and I am not pleased with the right now. So I just want to know what a good webhost is. I am thinking Bluehost, but I am not sure. I have heard many good things, but just want to see if there is a good one for NOVA.

Thanks!

DeathKitten Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:49 am

Re: Best Webhost

I've been using Dreamhost's shared hosting for years, and I've been pretty happy. I particularly like that they've set up automated support for Let's Encrypt (free certificate authority, if you're not familiar), so I have https on all the domains/subdomains I host with them. They also have one-click installs for a number of web applications if you host anything other a Nova, I've personally used their MediaWiki and WordPress one-clicks.
Captain Amelia Waterhouse of the USS Joshua Norton, a Clandestine Operations sim.

Come chat with us on Discord! discord.gg/3bUmudQ

Williams Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:48 am

PF's hosting is managed through VPS.net, which is great especially if you've got a lot of sites you're hosting. You get WHM included as well as cPanel (so depending on your setup you can dish out cPanel access instead of just FTP and DB passwords) and it's pretty easily expandable dependent on your needs.

If you know what you're doing with web servers (or are willing to learn the basics) then DigitalOcean may be worth a look. I use it for my non-simming sites, and you can fire up cloud instances (they call them Droplets) from $5 a month for their smallest type of instance. It doesn't come with cPanel though, so you'll need to know how to ssh onto a server and configure it in the way that you want through command line. Offers complete control over how the server behaves though if you're willing to manage it all yourself.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

USS HighlanderMy Xtras Profile
ImageImage

AgentPhoenix Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:57 am

I run Anodyne's sites off Digital Ocean and then use Laravel Forge (amazing service if you're doing a self-managed VPS) to make the management piece of it a helluva lot easier. A2 seems to be really good too, so that's probably worth looking into as well.

Stormwolfe Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:04 pm

After much research, I chose A2 Hosting. I have migrated one of my sites affected by the Hostgator issues (the first one to go down in fact) and set up another site from scratch to use as a test site.

So far so good. The site is unbelievably fast. My users have had no issues logging in, etc.

The only issue I have is figuring out how to set up the site independent of the one I registered with.

Example: Current URL is http://realmrpg.com/stormshelterrpg.com ... main/index

And I want: http://stormshelterrpg.com

By the way, feel free to look at the site, kick the tires, see what you think about A2's responsiveness.

I'll add more once I'm more at home there.

Bt the way, A2's customer service has been beyond parr for excellence!

jfiddle Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:23 pm

So I signed up for A2. I just keep getting this error when i set up everything on my NOVA site. Can someone help?

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_pconnect() in /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/database/drivers/mysql/mysql_driver.php:92 Stack trace: #0 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/database/DB_driver.php(116): CI_DB_mysql_driver->db_pconnect() #1 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/database/DB.php(149): CI_DB_driver->initialize() #2 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/core/Loader.php(347): DB(Array, NULL) #3 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/modules/core/libraries/Nova_controller_main.php(55): CI_Loader->database() #4 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/modules/core/controllers/nova_main.php(17): Nova_controller_main->__construct() #5 /home/startemi/public_html/application/controllers/main.php(9): Nova_main->__construct() #6 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/core/CodeIgniter.php(309): Main->__construct() #7 /home/startemi/public_html/index.php(261): require_once('/home/startemi/...') #8 {main} thrown in /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/database/drivers/mysql/mysql_driver.php on line 92

Stormwolfe Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:49 pm

jfiddle wrote:So I signed up for A2. I just keep getting this error when i set up everything on my NOVA site. Can someone help?

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_pconnect() in /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/database/drivers/mysql/mysql_driver.php:92 Stack trace: #0 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/database/DB_driver.php(116): CI_DB_mysql_driver->db_pconnect() #1 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/database/DB.php(149): CI_DB_driver->initialize() #2 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/core/Loader.php(347): DB(Array, NULL) #3 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/modules/core/libraries/Nova_controller_main.php(55): CI_Loader->database() #4 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/modules/core/controllers/nova_main.php(17): Nova_controller_main->__construct() #5 /home/startemi/public_html/application/controllers/main.php(9): Nova_main->__construct() #6 /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/core/CodeIgniter.php(309): Main->__construct() #7 /home/startemi/public_html/index.php(261): require_once('/home/startemi/...') #8 {main} thrown in /home/startemi/public_html/nova/ci/database/drivers/mysql/mysql_driver.php on line 92

Jfiddle,

Sorry to hear you had an issue. My clean install and my site migration went smooth as glass. I am very new at this so hate to ask you questions that you probably obviously did...but here goes.

1. Did you move your domain to A2? Has the transfer had time to complete?
2. Was it a clean install or the migration of your site from another host.
3. Did you change the nameservers (if necessary).
4. Change the database file in Config to point to the new database?

And I apologize if all these questions are, "Of course I did all that, silly!" questions.

jfiddle Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:55 pm

Stormwolfe wrote:
jfiddle wrote:So I signed up for A2. I just keep getting this error when i set up everything on my NOVA site. Can someone help?

Jfiddle,

Sorry to hear you had an issue. My clean install and my site migration went smooth as glass. I am very new at this so hate to ask you questions that you probably obviously did...but here goes.

1. Did you move your domain to A2? Has the transfer had time to complete?
2. Was it a clean install or the migration of your site from another host.
3. Did you change the nameservers (if necessary).
4. Change the database file in Config to point to the new database?

And I apologize if all these questions are, "Of course I did all that, silly!" questions.

1. I opened a new domain.
2. I downloaded and then uploaded my database and transfered files over.
3. No need
3. Yes i did that.

Idk what i did wtong. I recently did this exact thing and it transfered seemlessly. :P

Stormwolfe Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:08 pm

And this is a first time setting up like this for me! Which is why I apologized for asking the probably redundant questions.

I transferred my domain and then migrated my site to it with no issues.

I did one new domain and clean install to use as a splash page, but installed a clean instance of Nova on it to test A2. Again, zero issues.

I'm horrible with the mysql stuff, but will look at it some more. Maybe AgentPhoenix will see this soon and offer some clues.

jfiddle Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:09 pm

Stormwolfe wrote:And this is a first time setting up like this for me! Which is why I apologized for asking the probably redundant questions.

I transferred my domain and then migrated my site to it with no issues.

I did one new domain and clean install to use as a splash page, but installed a clean instance of Nova on it to test A2. Again, zero issues.

I'm horrible with the mysql stuff, but will look at it some more. Maybe AgentPhoenix will see this soon and offer some clues.

I am going to call support today and see if they can do it for me. I have never had a issue. :/

Stormwolfe Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:31 pm

I created a support ticket because I needed help sorting my migrated website onto a standalone URL.

Their customer service has been outstanding.

Another thought, and again, am a doof on this stuff...

Maybe your database got corrupted somewhere in the backup / import process? Perhaps drop that database, create a new one and import the backup again? Might be totally non-feasible.

Williams Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Chances are you're on a version of PHP where the mysql extension has been removed (it's been deprecated for a while). Try changing the value in config/database.php (I think it's something like dbconn_type) from mysql to mysqli.
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

USS HighlanderMy Xtras Profile
ImageImage

jfiddle Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Williams wrote:Chances are you're on a version of PHP where the mysql extension has been removed (it's been deprecated for a while). Try changing the value in config/database.php (I think it's something like dbconn_type) from mysql to mysqli.

Yeah that was the issue. My host just changed the PHP version down to 5.6. It is working now.

newdestinyfleet Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:41 pm

If you go into your
Code: Select all
application/config/database.php
and change the line

$db['default']['dbdriver'] = 'mysql';

to
$db['default']['dbdriver'] = 'mysqli';

It seemed to do the trick for me running the SQl 7. Also as a side note. A2 will eventually stop sending e-mails from the default nova. Your going to want to set up a custom SMTP on the site. If your on a shared host, your going to need to get ahold of chat as they are going to send out blocked mail until they make an exception. I had this happen to me today with the fleet. I will keep an eye out on the Help forums but best one out there will be http://forums.anodyne-productions.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4174

Cheers
Cael Maz

AgentPhoenix Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:07 am

I'd agree with getting off your host's email. A third-party service is just much more reliable. Mandrill, Mailgun, and SparkPost are all excellent options.

Next

Return to General