[BugFix] Truncated JP's

Use this forum to talk about Nova and ask any questions you may have about it. Please use the Help & Support forum if you have found a bug or need help getting something working.

TheDrew Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:38 am

[BugFix] Truncated JP's

Not really a mod but maybe not a bug fix but the CO considered it a bug so I'm calling it that.

In the posts table, the post_content column is of datatype TEXT. the TEXT datatype limits you to 2^16 (65,535) characters in a post. For a solo post or a 2-3 person JP this is fine. When you however have 10+ people involved in a massive group JP, this can get exceeded very easily.

The symptom is that as people edit their tags, whatever is too long at the bottom gets chopped off when it's saved. Looking at the code, I don't see anywhere the php code limits how much data can go into the content edit field so the limitation apparently lies in the database.

My fix, and this seems to work fine, was to change the datatype of post_content from TEXT to LONGTEXT which changes the character limit in a post from 2^16 (~65,000 characters) to 2^32 (~approx 4 billion). For those worried about space usage, the difference is minimal. Refer to http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/ ... ments.html for technical details.

AgentPhoenix Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 am

Re: [BugFix] Truncated JP's

Thanks for the heads up. I'll throw this into the next update!

Return to General