Nova 2.5 database changes?

Use this forum to talk about Nova and ask any questions you may have about it. Please use the Help & Support forum if you have found a bug or need help getting something working.

chipotle Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 am

Nova 2.5 database changes?

I have installed Nova 2.5 in a subdomain of my site for testing. The main site at "www" is still running Nova 2.4.10. They share the same database backend. Our site is running mysqli with PHP 7.1.

In nova/update_2410.php, it appears that the ONLY changes to upgrade the database are to set the version in the '$system_info' variable, add a few new privacy records to the 'messages' table, and add two new records to the 'settings' table.

Will this update also fix 'no default value' errors when the software submits incomplete records to tables that have fields that do not have default values? We saw these errors in a few places with Nova 2.4.10 after upgrading to mysqli and PHP 7.1, and up until now I have simply edited the tables to add default values to any fields that raised errors for user activity.

Is it safe to apply this database update if we will continue to run Nova 2.4.10 on our main site for a while longer? We would like to run Nova 2.5 through a trial period on our testing subdomain.

Thank you for adding PHP 7 support! :)

AgentPhoenix Mon May 28, 2018 8:06 am

Re: Nova 2.5 database changes?

For existing games, nothing changes. For fresh installs, we've added nullable flags to over 100 fields to help prevent those sorts of issues. Given the number of fields involved, I'm not going to back-port that fix into an update. Just too many potential issues involved with that.

Given what the changes were, yes, you'll be fine to run the update since it's just adding data to existing tables.

chipotle Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks!

Could you possibly let me know what the nullable fields are? I can set them myself to make our database structure match a freshly installed one. Is there a PHP file I could reference? That would be enough for me to figure it out, I think--if I just knew which source file to look at.

chipotle Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:44 am

:o

Well, it is a good place to start, lol. Thanks!

Kennerly Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:01 am

What does this mean for the end users exactly? Is it even noticeable?

AgentPhoenix Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:35 am

Unfortunately, Nova will throw errors if you make the change to PHP 7.1 and a higher version of MySQL without the nullable fields. My recommendation is to not update an existing site to PHP 7+ and MySQL 5.7 if you can to avoid these issues.

TheDrew Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:25 am

I'll be trying this over Christmas when I upgrade two sites from 2.3.2 to 2.5.1 but thinking that one could possibly, after upgrading the existing site, create a second temporary Nova install to generate a blank DB, and do an export from the old to the new. Then just point your existing Nova install to the new DB and if it works, awesome, if not, just change back to the old one.

Return to General