Old Newbie Back With A Purpose

Sometimes you need a place to chat about stuff, and that's okay, because we're a community. This board is meant just for that, to talk about everything and even your kitchen sink (if you feel so inclined).

vikpowell Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Old Newbie Back With A Purpose

Greets,

My name is Victor Powell and I'm a old newbie, in that, I'm familiar with Nova as a user, but not as a developer in creating a site for a RPG that will be used in association with a story universe I am writing and working on.

The story project is a space opera where jousting tournaments and combat by champions, takes the place of conventional warfare in a futuristic society of the descendants of a lost colony of Earth.

I'm new at all the coding and bit, but I've been trying to make this work on my own until I realized that there's a forum here where I may get some help to modify nova to my format.

I hope to learn lots from all of you here and look forward to the communion.

Thanks,

V.

AgentPhoenix Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:47 am

Re: Old Newbie Back With A Purpose

Nice to see someone thinking outside the box with Nova!

telemachus Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:14 am

With NOVA anything is possible, I have Men in Black and Assassin's Creed sims among many others and I've even branched Starfleet out into a four branch system bringing back the Army and the Air Force. I too learnt NOVA coding on my own but spending a little time fiddling around with some test sites I learned my way around, I think you will too. :)

AgentPhoenix Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:57 am

If either of you have something to show for a unique Nova game, make sure you add something to the new sticky topic in the Nova > General section so everyone can see the kind of stuff that's possible with Nova!

herschwolf Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:24 pm

As a former coder for the original SMS program the advice that I can give you is to just start pulling the code apart. If you don't read code as well as I did to see what things are doing and how to do it, just make a change and refresh the page to see what happens. Add a few tags and see how things change. Make a variable name change and see how it's populating the data. Just pick it all apart.

There's unfortunately no nice neat documentation on how Nova was coded (unless I'm mistaken and David can correct me) so just playing is the only real way to see what it does. Basic understanding on HTML, CSS, and PHP are probably needed and helpful in most instances so be ready to do some research or even look at intro classes online that walk you through basic OOP (Object Oriented Programming) practices.

And then ask here. "I want to do.......this" and then David or someone else could put something together that points you in the right direction. We really don't like people that demand we make "that" for them, but if you genuinely show interest in attempting it yourself, someone may feel nice enough to build it for you and show you how they did it.

Anodyne has a great community, or it did a few years ago while I was still coding and helping projects. And I doubt that has changed much. Just play, break, try to fix, and ask us and we'll be here.

Return to The Anodyne Lounge