Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

How do you give people webspace?

Sometimes you need a place to chat about stuff, and that's okay, because we're a community. This board is meant just for that, to talk about everything and even your kitchen sink (if you feel so inclined).

raymondu999 Mon May 30, 2011 3:11 am

How do you give people webspace?

The title might be a bit confusing; I know. But please bear with me as I didn't know how else to phrase it. I run a fleet; which is hosted on my own hosting plan under it's own top level .Net domain. Now; I'm intending to give my simms free hosting. So let's say I run "The Fleet," web address thefleet.net. I want to give USS Alphabet free webspace; so I create the subdomain; alphabet.thefleet.net.

So how do I give them access to the cPanel; but limited? I want them to have FTP/MySQL access; and a cPanel (preferrably) but I'm not sure how to "limit" their access to their own subdomains. Also is it possible to limit their disk usage; and MySQL usage?

Thanks!!

matty-vfx Mon May 30, 2011 5:55 am

Re: How do you give people webspace?

I believe you need to have a reseller account with your host-- that will allow you to make other accounts that link into your own account. If you have your own server, then you can install ISPConfig which will allow you to do the same for free.
It's a compulsory fact of life that we have to grow old...
...but that doesn't mean we have to grow up

raymondu999 Tue May 31, 2011 12:59 am

Ah. That's disappointing :(

I guess I'll do it manual then :mrgreen:

If I were to do such a thing (produce subdomain websites for my member simms) then what would you all recommend is a good size to work with? On MySQL+content. 100MB? 150MB? I really don't know.

Williams Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:13 am

In regards to giving them limited access, you should be able to set up an FTP account for the directory you put the subdomain into, and if you want them to have some MySQL access, then you can install them a local copy of phpMyAdmin for them to use (though in my experience, this latter step is rarely needed for most users)
Matt aka
Krace / Williams

USS HighlanderMy Xtras Profile
ImageImage

Return to The Anodyne Lounge