Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

FTP Client for Mac

Sometimes you need a place to chat about stuff, and that's okay, because we're a community. This board is meant just for that, to talk about everything and even your kitchen sink (if you feel so inclined).

Jason Blaze Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 am

FTP Client for Mac

Hey David and whoever, I put David as I am...90% sure he is a Mac user,

I need help, I've just bought myself an iMac and need to know of a good client for Mac. I'm running OS X 10.5.8, haven't upgraded to SL yet. I normally use Core FTP and if anyone can recommend an ftp for Mac, I'll be greatly appreciative !

Thanks,

Bobby
Commander Peter Gardner
Commanding Officer
USS Excelsior

AgentPhoenix Mon May 24, 2010 8:39 am

Re: FTP Client for Mac

The best one to use, hands down, is Transmit. Something that's a tad cheaper is Flow, but honestly, I'd go with Transmit.

Jason Blaze Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:35 am

Right, need some new advice. I need to extract Nova on my iMac but haven't been able to find any extraction software that actually works! And its really getting frustrating because I had to load up my old PC. Any help would be good! haha

Thanks,

Bobby
Commander Peter Gardner
Commanding Officer
USS Excelsior

Jason Blaze Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks David. I need to ask, although you probably use Dreamweaver, is there any other paid or unpaid WYSIWYG editor?

Bobby
Commander Peter Gardner
Commanding Officer
USS Excelsior

AgentPhoenix Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:39 am

Jason Blaze wrote: I need to ask, although you probably use Dreamweaver, is there any other paid or unpaid WYSIWYG editor?

I should ban you from the forums for that kind of language. :P

For a Mac WYSIWYG editor, check out Coda by Panic (same company that does Transmit) or MacRabbit's Espresso. Both are really good. I stay away from that kind of stuff though and code in a straight text editor. My current dev setup on my Mac is here. The thread also includes some good information about different programs for Macs and Windows.

raymondu999 Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Pardon me if I'm just being thick, but it seems to me that Coda, and Espresso, are HTML text editors, but with a preview function, no? Dreamweaver has a "true" WYSIWYG setup where you see the page as it would be displayed in a browser (no code) and you can just start typing/inserting stuff like you would a word processor or desktop publishing tool. Adobe Contribute does that as well.

But for some reason, Contribute seems to have no code view at all, and Dreamweaver does the job nicely, but for some reason I cannot yet fathom; on an i7 MacBook Pro, lags like mad. Do you know of any such editors where it does this simple job well?

AgentPhoenix Tue May 03, 2011 6:53 am

RapidWeaver might be more of what you're looking for. In all honesty though, you're better off learning HTML as it'll give you more flexibility and will lead to cleaner code since you aren't relying on a software algorithm to generate code for you.

raymondu999 Tue May 03, 2011 11:59 am

I do know HTML; and I do use it. RapidWeaver is too gimmicky for me and is more templates based. The reason I need WYSIWYG is on most of my sites (that aren't SMS/Nova, of course :mrgreen:) I sometimes use tables to format things, and hundreds of <tr> and <td> tags just bombard me :P

AgentPhoenix Tue May 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Dude, get away from table-based layouts. So bad and so difficult to maintain. C'mon, this is 2011, not 1997. :P

AgentPhoenix Tue May 10, 2011 11:38 am

This might be something to look at...

http://www.karelia.com/sandvox/

Return to The Anodyne Lounge