Anodyne Productions Quarterly Report - Q3 2011

Announcements concerning Anodyne Productions will be posted in this forum.

AgentPhoenix Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:08 pm

Anodyne Productions Quarterly Report - Q3 2011

This document serves as an update to the work going on with Anodyne Productions over the third quarter of 2011 covering the period between 1 July and 30 September.

Nova

Nova 2

While originally intended for a summer release, Nova 2 was pushed back into the fall for a variety of reasons. First and foremost was testing. Instead of pushing a half-tested product out, I decided that using Nova 2 on my own was the best way to test this new release. The results have been awesome. Not only have I found and fixed a lot of bugs, but many of the nagging error messages have been corrected as well. Add to that a few brand new features I didn't think would make it in to Nova 2 and you can see why a little extra time was the right way to go.

There's still plenty of work to do with Nova 2, so I haven't nailed down a release date yet. However, I'm certainly working as hard and fast as possible to get this release out to everyone as soon as realistically possible.

In preparation for the release, you should make sure you're updated to Nova 1.2.6 or SMS 2.6.9 or higher and have both your database and files backed up. The new documentation will be available in the coming weeks, so you'll have plenty of time to look through the new user guide to see what's involved with upgrading from SMS and updating from Nova 1.

Nova 3

I originally promised Nova 3 before Nova 2, but in all likelihood, I'll focus almost exclusively on Nova 2 between now and the release. Shortly after that, I'll push out milestone 3 for anyone who wants to take a run through the (limited) amount of work that's been done on Nova 3 so far.

Anodyne Re-Branding

Over the last several updates, I've mentioned the Anodyne re-branding project (and even teased a few images on our Facebook page). That re-branding effort will slowly be pushed out over the next few weeks and months. Hopefully, by the end of Q4, the new look and feel will be available throughout the entire line of sites.

Forum Changes

The first place where we'll be doing this is the forums. As part of this project, I took a long, hard look at the forums. The fact of the matter is, forum use has declined significantly in the past few years. We no longer require the power and overhead of phpBB, so I'll be moving our forums off of phpBB and over to Vanilla 2. This is a pretty significant change that will take some getting used to, but it's a change that I think is going to simplify the forums.

As part of the upgrade process, your username and password will be brought over, but none of the posts will be. (I'll be keeping an archived version of the boards for referencing old topics as necessary.)

In addition, I'll be simplifying the structure a little bit, the biggest of which are removing the SMS and FMS sections. The fact is, we don't have the resources to work on a fleet system, so instead of teasing people by leaving it up there, it's time to put it to rest. As for the SMS section, it's no longer a supported product and it's time to start acting like it. (In the coming months, SMS will no longer be available for download either.)

Other Sites

Once the new forums are up and running, the other sites will follow suit, most likely starting with the main page. AnodyneDocs and AnodyneXtras will be the last to be transferred because of the amount of work involved.

Q4 2011

Q4 will be all about fixing any issues that pop up with Nova 2, continuing to work on Nova 3 and ironing out any kinks in the new branding. All in all, I expect Q4 to be pretty quiet, but hopefully the same won't be able to be said for your games!

As always, stay tuned to the forums, Twitter and Facebook for the latest information.

Return to Announcements