Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

[Feature Request]Accurate Gender selections.

sojservices Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:06 pm

[Feature Request]Accurate Gender selections.

The Gender selection menu in the bio form is extremely dated, and insensitive, in contrast to the currently broader, and usually more inclusive understanding of the subject

I propose a more inclusive, and less offensive selection, which more accurately portrays the diverse nature which Star Trek is meant to be about.

Other suggestions from people who have contacted me in private include:
"Other"
And "Non-gendered".
Formal apologies for the previous wording of this post. It is just not a good week, and yet the perfect week for this topic to be addressed.
Last edited by sojservices on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sojservices aka
Kate, Lexi, or Yuna

Yunalesca K. Butterscotch aka
Owner & Operator
Butterscotch RPGs

AgentPhoenix Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:27 pm

Re: [Feature Request]Accurate Gender selections.

I'll take a look at updating the Nova 2 options for new installations (doing so for existing installation is too complicated). I haven't gotten to that point with NextGen, but I'll be sure to match whatever is done for the next Nova 2 update.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

DeathKitten Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:51 pm

As a solution that can be implemented for existing installs by the admins: You can switch the gender field from a drop down to a text field. Then you don't need to predict what genders your crew identify as, they can tell you themselves.

I did this recently, and it went amazingly smooth. I didn't even have to warn my crew I was doing it. I expected needing to re-input the information for all the characters in the system when I did it, so I'd taken the time to write down everyone's gender before I simply changed the field type from drop down to text (I have a lot of NPCs listed in my Nova for reference). Turns out I didn't need to, the database populated the text fields automatically from the saved value of the drop down. The linux user in me always recommends that you do some sort of backup, even if it looks like it'll work correctly without it, so proceed with caution.

I do agree that updating the defaults for new installs would be a great idea though.

Penta Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:03 am

Relevant inquiry: Is there a limit as to how many selections a dropdown can have?

AgentPhoenix Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:16 pm

Not as far as I know. It all runs out of the database, so you should be able to add until your heart's content.

Penta Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:37 am

AgentPhoenix wrote:Not as far as I know. It all runs out of the database, so you should be able to add until your heart's content.

Neat. That (and whether scrolls occur natively) is my big concern when it comes to "Add more options!" on this topic - options are good, but making the form difficult to use isn't something I'm willing to accept in the pursuit of that - and while I'm a fan of accommodating whatever answers people may come up with, wanting to make things easy for the vast, vast majority of players who're likely to choose either of the first two options is a relevant concern.

What might be useful, as a side thought, is to separate out sex (as in biological sex) from gender (which, to my understanding, is less biological and more social-cultural). Both are relevant pieces of information at times.

AgentPhoenix Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:27 am

If people want to break it out further like that, they'll need to do it themselves. That's the beauty of dynamic forms... you can make it whatever you want it to be.

Return to Nova NextGen