Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

[Feature Request] Change in Post Locking

DeathKitten Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:14 pm

[Feature Request] Change in Post Locking

The SIMs I'm involved in don't use the personal log system at all, since it doesn't thread in with everything else. We just have our users post personal logs using the mission posts interface. The post locking system to keep people from editing over each other with the mission posts is awesome, but one minor thing irks me: if I leave the log sitting open, it'll eventually kick me out. This is fine when it's a multiple person log because it keeps one person from accidentally locking people out of the log because they forgot and left the log sitting open... but when it's just one person in the mission log, it would be awesome if the system didn't do this. If it's a solo log, I like being able to just sit and pick at it between other tasks, as the only thing driving the post is usually my own muse instead of interaction with others, and editing it elsewhere and pasting it in occasionally yields weird character mismatches (because automagic substitutions in LibreOffice, though OpenOffice and Microsoft Office are guilty of this too).

Also, a cancel button, that lets users release their lock when they go to edit but change their mind (or just go to read and don't actually use the *correct* function of the Nova to do so, despite being told multiple times to do so >.<), would be awesome.

AgentPhoenix Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:14 pm

Re: [Feature Request] Change in Post Locking

Posting is going to undergo some pretty seismic changes in Nova 3, so it's tough to really address this at this point, but I'll keep it in mind. After the new year I'll be sharing my new vision for Nova 3.

DeathKitten Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:33 pm

Considering the other stuff I've seen requested, and the big changes you've been talking about for Nova 3, I can't say I'm surprised. Thanks for considering my suggestions though. :)

LordMalachi Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:00 am

Kitten, I've found a work around with this, at least, for now >.>

But it requires you to have access to 'Mission Posts', where you can see the current saved posts of the entire site (Or at least yours). Instead of going through the usual way, to get to a post to edit it. Go into Mission Posts, and edit it via that way; it never times out, and allows you to have it open as long as you want. Once you're done, just hit 'Update'—It won't trigger an email though, so you'll then have to go back in the usual way, and hit 'save' through the writing control panel, to make it send through.

As someone whom writes massive amounts, I know how irritating it is to have a post suddenly reload, and loose like eight paragraphs T_T. I really look forward to seeing if this is fixed in NOVA3. I know so many people whom get so annoyed by loosing posts, because of it auto-refreshing <.<.
"Impossible is a word humans use far too often."—Seven Of Nine (Star Trek: Voyager)

DeathKitten Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:28 am

It doesn't actually lose what I've been writing though. If I go back in to edit after it refreshes and dumps me back at the writing control panel, what I wrote is still there. So it's just a minor irritation of having to reload the edit page. Also, we have a mod on our Nova install that gives us an active word count as we write, that only displays in the write mission post screen. The "problem" isn't irritating enough for me to have to jump through hoops to fix it, only enough to put in a request that it be improved with the next version, especially when the solution means having to modify something else on the site to move our added feature.

It was nice of you to try to help me out though. Thank you.

LordMalachi Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:40 am

Anytime :P

I do find the character limit quite annoying as well; most of the time I'm forced to split posts into two, or even three parts.
"Impossible is a word humans use far too often."—Seven Of Nine (Star Trek: Voyager)

DeathKitten Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:17 am

The character limit is pretty big. We've only hit it once that I'm aware of, but we have the word count mod to let our crew have an idea of how many words their log is in length without having to copy and paste into a word program for a count. We usually break logs at the two to three thousand word point, give or take depending on plot and such. It's normal for some of us to regularly release two to three part logs. We had one major plot log that actually was split into seven when we were done with it. That was epic.

AgentPhoenix Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:10 am

Roughly what word count are you seeing as the cut off? Been thinking about switching the field type for post content in Nova, but wasn't sure if people were really working with posts that large.

LordMalachi Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:15 pm

Well, I write books. So my RP posts can be anything between five to eight, even ten paragraphs long. Quite, giant paragraphs. So I quickly hit the character limit, after awhile. I know not many people write as much as I do though, so I wouldn't say it NEEDS to happen. Just it would be good to have it unlimited! :P Or a mod to like, increase it etc.

AgentPhoenix Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:40 pm

There won't ever being anything such as unlimited. A database system has to have a limit, but there are some other field options that provide higher character limits.

DeathKitten Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:25 pm

The character limit is 65535, more specifically 2^16 (I just looked it up in a chat log when we found it by accident). It is a limit of the database from what I understand, and for what most people use Nova for, it's significantly higher than would be needed. Our case of running into it was a special circumstance, and it sounds like LordMalachi is using the Nova a little bit in an unexpected manner.

For the average player, I don't see a benefit to allowing posts to get that big. Our standard logs that we try to cut at two to three thousand words can usually hold like three of them in one entry on the Nova before splitting without any problem, and we cut our logs into smaller chunks to let our players easily read in manageable chunks. Even split to that size, they're still a decent chunk of time invested to read.

Edit: I just looked through the chat log I pulled the character limit from, and mooeypoo actually recommended against changing it to something that accommodates more because she feels the cost to the database resources would be higher, and that cost would apply to all logs saved since they'd all be switched to the higher capacity field type, even the small ones. If there's a way to let LordMalachi do a mod that changes the field type for him, since it sounds like he's always hitting that magic number, then let him mod, but for the average install, it really sounds like it's not needed. Considering Vindicator only hit the limit once, and we've been writing epic logs for ages, and I haven't heard of anyone else besides LordMalachi finding the limit... it really doesn't sound like there's a need for it.

AgentPhoenix Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:20 pm

TEXT fields can store about 64kb of text in them. Other options include MEDIUMTEXT which can store about 16mb of text and LONGTEXT that can store about 4gb of text. Anyone can make the change themselves by going into the appropriate table in phpMyAdmin and changing the field type.

DeathKitten Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Then I suggest we leave it to the end user to adjust it themselves, and leave the default as it is. I think people needing longer than what we currently have is uncommon enough. ^_^ If there's somewhere convenient to document this, to make it easy for people to find, that would be a awesome.

Return to Nova NextGen