[Feature Request] Mandatory Email Addresses

Stormwolfe Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:59 pm

[Feature Request] Mandatory Email Addresses

Hi! I did a search and did not see this one listed. Now, I'm coming at this from a non-tech background so I do understand if it is far too complicated or game specific to consider. No worries there at all.

One of the most awesome Nova features, in my opinion, is that all post updates do mail out to the authors listed on the post. One of the biggest drawbacks I've found is that if you're not an author on the post, you have to remember to manually go check Saved Posts under Mission Posts (if you have access) to see who is doing what. The second part of this is having to give everyone wholesale editing / deleting access to allow others to see saved posts in progress (if they're not authors). We have sort of gotten around both issues by setting up a Google Group to act as a passive archive. The drawback is that everyone has to remember to add the "archive" author to their posts and, if they don't join the group, remember to go look for latest updates at the Group site. NONE of these are show stoppers.

What I'd love to see added is a way for everyone to view saved posts with no editing access if they aren't authors - or - an option for posts to email to all members of the site (even if they are not authors) so that we all know who is doing what and when. Failing either or both of those, could there be a setting added in Admin so that designated persons could get all updates (or even add that to the emails Game Masters receive)? Anything that would take out the jumping through hoops to keep up with all activity or not having to give everyone wholesale access to view posts.

Thanks much!

Jer

AgentPhoenix Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:37 am

Re: [Feature Request] Mandatory Email Addresses

I'm not going to add everyone to the emails because you'd find that gets really annoying really fast. Then if an option is provided to allow people to opt out, you're back to square one. Putting people on emails like that is just bad form.

This really is a non-issue with Nova 3 though because of the access control system and the fact that read, create, update and delete privileges can be given independent of one another. In your case, you'd just make sure that everyone has the appropriate read privileges and you'd be done.

Stormwolfe Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:51 am

The access restrictions are even better than the emails!

Thanks for your response and explanation.

Regards ~ Jer

yen ifierti Fri May 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Will there be any way for us to reply to PMs by just hitting "reply" from the email notification we recieve?

AgentPhoenix Fri May 02, 2014 12:48 pm

Hitting reply would simply send an email back to the sender. There won't be any way for those emails to be fed back into Nova. You could hack something together, but that would involve creating a special email address, parsing subject lines, and cron jobs to run to import items into the database. That's not something we're going to build into the Nova core.

Return to Nova NextGen