No mobile access?

Have a question about AnodyneXtras? Need some help? This is the place to get all your questions answered!

DeathKitten Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:59 am

No mobile access?

I went to go look up something on the xtras site just now, and recieved a polite note that said I can't use the xtras site because I'm on mobile. So I go and enable the option in Firefox to request desktop site, because I'm at work and can't use a desktop computer, and recieve the same note.

I get that the xtras site is less useful on a mobile device, but there are cases where a user might need it. I can get an ftp app on Android (I've used it on my tablet in the past), and some people actually use their phone and tablet for most, if not all, of their web access these days. I'm stuck using public transit in the suburbs of the SF bay area, where it's only marginally better than walking, so I don't spend a lot of time at home. Which means I try to read up and prep things from my phone, so that when I am home I can make efficient use of my time. This includes researching mods and skins for my Nova installs.

Would it be possible to at least give us the option to browse the available mods and skins from mobile?
Captain Amelia Waterhouse of the USS Joshua Norton, a Clandestine Operations sim.

Come chat with us on Discord! discord.gg/3bUmudQ

AgentPhoenix Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:19 am

Re: No mobile access?

For starters, the reason you weren't able to trick your way into a desktop version of the Xtras site is because Anodyne's sites don't use user agent detection for determining whether to show a mobile or desktop version. Instead, we use responsive web design which uses CSS media queries based on screen size to determine how to display the site. (This is the same way that Nova NextGen works as well.)

I can certainly work on opening up the Xtras site for read-only access on mobile devices, but it might take some time since none of the responsive design work was done at the start like with the other sites. It just means that every page will need to be touched to be sure it works as expected.

Having said that though, even when that's done, I'm still going to restrict any uploading and download to non-mobile devices. Yes, some devices may be able to do all of those things without any issues, but not everything can. I don't want to get into hardware or OS sniffing (which even then can be deceptive since you can be running a jailbroken version of iOS and be able to do things normal iOS can't do for example) to determine what people can and can't do. I just think it would cause more confusion and issues if people see a button to do something, and then when they try to do it, nothing happens.

DeathKitten Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: No mobile access?

While I disagree with blocking upload and download from mobile, I understand your reasoning, and while I can use ftp and do web development on a tablet, it's a royal pain and I hope I don't get stuck needing to again in the future. So I won't say anything further. I do appreciate opening up at least the read access though. Thank you for being willing to give it a go.
Captain Amelia Waterhouse of the USS Joshua Norton, a Clandestine Operations sim.

Come chat with us on Discord! discord.gg/3bUmudQ

Return to AnodyneXtras