Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

[MOD] Descriptions for Bio Form Fields

A place to show off (and others to download) completed MODs. Note: support for MODs is handled by third parties, not Anodyne Productions.

mooeypoo Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:45 pm

[MOD] Descriptions for Bio Form Fields

Hey hey everyone,

Following Jericho's request, I present my newest mod adding the ability to insert custom instructions/descriptions to the Bio Form/ Join Form fields.

The extension and readme are here: https://github.com/mooeypoo/Nova-Mod-Bi ... scriptions

While I did my very best to prevent the editting of files, I had no choice in what I had to edit. So, this mod requires editing to two controllers - characters.php and site.php

WARNING: If you aready have mods in these files, and you don't know how to edit them properly, do not install this mod.

As usual, please report any bugs or other feature requests. GitHub issues is preferable, but you can post those here too.

Enjoy!

~mooey
Find my Nova MODs: https://github.com/mooeypoo

Stormwolfe Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: [MOD] Descriptions for Bio Form Fields

Mooey,

Thank you, thank you!

I will tackle installing the mod as soon as we finish some updates to our server. I'll admit to being wary as I'm terrified of altering my SQL at all. :wink:

Again, my thanks!

~ Jer

mooeypoo Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Jericho wrote:Mooey,

Thank you, thank you!

I will tackle installing the mod as soon as we finish some updates to our server. I'll admit to being wary as I'm terrified of altering my SQL at all. :wink:

Again, my thanks!

~ Jer

Hey Jer,

The only thing my sql thing does is add another field to the characters_fields table. If you want, you can do it manually. Just add another field "field_desc" with type "text".

The descriptions appear as tooltips on the input fields, so you don't even need to worry about people not editing the value off.

Enjoy!

~mooey

Stormwolfe Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Amazing!

I'll see about installing tomorrow. I'd like to get the next Nova update added first and all of that will have to wait until in the morning. I'm pretty useless after 8 PM.

Thanks Again

Stormwolfe Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Mod Installed - Minor Issue

Ms. Mooey,

I followed the Read Me parts below...

### 1. Run the SQL
Go into your sql server, and run the database.sql file.
*** WARNING! *** If your database is using a prefix that is different than nova_ for table names, you must edit the SQL file before you run it. **If you don't know what this means, do not install.**

### 2. Copy the Mod

#### 2.1 If the controllers were not changed
It's suggested you back up your views/_base_override/admin/ folder.
After you do that, you can simply upload the mod as-is.

If you want to be careful and manually copy the mod, jump to step 2.3.

I checked my database and the table has the additional field added to it. So this portion appears fine.

I uploaded the mod files as I have no other mods installed as directed.

Issue: My bio form is still fine, however, the new field does not appear when I go to edit the Bio Form. I'm sure it's something I did wrong, but for the life of me, I don't know what. Am I missing a step? I am easily confused and totally challenged when it comes to adding mods.

I'm sure you'll need more info or file copies before you can assist. Just let me know...

No rush either as the bio form is working...

Thanks,

mooeypoo Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Did you copy over the view files?

I just noticed the readme had the 'copy over view files' under the manual install instead of as its own (NECESSARY) step. OOPS, Sorry about that.

I fixed the Readme, but you should backup your view files, and then just upload the view folder in the mod to the view folder in your nova install.

That should do it.

Stormwolfe Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:39 pm

mooeypoo wrote:Did you copy over the view files?

Yes. I uploaded the view files to the appropriate folders.

mooeypoo wrote:I just noticed the readme had the 'copy over view files' under the manual install instead of as its own (NECESSARY) step. OOPS, Sorry about that.

I fixed the Readme, but you should backup your view files, and then just upload the view folder in the mod to the view folder in your nova install.

That should do it.

Please forgive me for being a dork. I just don't want to screw up my site and as I am very code challenged, it happens. :D

I have downloaded my view folder in its entirety and uploaded the mod files again. I must still be doing something wrong because the new field is still missing when I go to edit the Bio Form.

For just upload the view folder direction from above... Is that replace my original view folder or upload the contents (which is what I've always done).

I feel sure I'm misreading the instructions or doing something wrong on my end. Just talk to me like the Village Idiot... LOL. If I can make this work without editing files, that'd be my preference as I am not knowledgable on that.

I appreciate this mod and your help more than you know. The mod will cut my work for new players in half.

Thanks and Regards and NO RUSH!

mooeypoo Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:42 pm

This is really weird, so let's start over.

You said none of your controllers (site.php and characters.php) were previously edited. If that's the case, then simply upload the model into your directory.

I would recommend, just in case, that you download all the controller files you currently have in your site to your computer just to have them backed up in case something goes wrong.

Then, upload the controller directly:

Make sure application/controllers go to your application/controllers
and application/views go to application/views

If it STILL doesn't work, I'll have to get access to your site and check...

~mooey

Stormwolfe Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Followed your instructions to the letter... I have GOT to be doing something mega wrong. It's just not working.

If you'll let me know what you need, I'll PM you the information. And really, this is no major rush! It'll be great to get it working, but am in no hurry.

Thanks,

mooeypoo Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:58 pm

Oh, and just making sure...

The special instructions field will not appear in the "Edit Form" page, but rather inside the individual FIELDS edit.

So in order to edit the instructions, go to:

Control Panel -> "Bio Form"

Now, pick the field you want to add instructions to, like, say, "Gender". Click the 'edit' button next to it (pencil)
In the edit screen you should see a new input called "Instructions / Description" which is a textarea. Fill out your desired instructions, hit 'save'.

Now in order to see the instruction pop up in the form, go to your character's "Edit Character" form, and move your mouse above the field you edited (in our example, move your mouse over "Gender") and you should see the popup.

The reason I didn't add the field directly to the Form Edit page, is to try and 'touch' on as few files as possible so you don't have to get things messy in case you already have corrections in the code. However, if this is something you want to see in the main form edit, let me know, I can add it there too.

Let me know if it works?

~mooey

Stormwolfe Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Mooey,

I like the idea of having it inside the edit field area rather than on the main edit bio page. Less confusion because the tool tips get added inside the field...less confusion for me...that is.

However, that's where I've been looking for the new field and just can't see it.

Here's a screen shot of where I'm looking to see the new field. Trust me, I know your code works...just can't sort what I'm doing wrong.

Link to Larger Image: http://i.imgur.com/LjPlm.png

mooeypoo Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Jer, this is so weird.

Verify these things for me, let's see what's going wrong:
  • Please go to your site and see if the views/_base_override/admin/pages files were copied over correctly. Can you give me the list of files in that folder on your site?
  • Can you tell me if you have any overriding files? Go to views/[YOUR_TEMPLATE]/admin/pages/ and tell me if you have files in there. If you do, please tell me which files are in there?
  • Can you download your site's version of the page views/_base_override/admin/pages/site_bioform_one.php and tell me if you have the lines:
    Code: Select all
    <kbd>Field Description / Instructions:</kbd>
    <?php echo form_textarea($inputs['desc'], $inputs['descval']);?>

This has to be something weird with the view files. If there would have been a problem with the controllers, the page would have crashed completely.

If the view files are there, this is what you should see:

Stormwolfe Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:46 pm

mooeypoo wrote:Jer, this is so weird.

Verify these things for me, let's see what's going wrong:
  • Please go to your site and see if the views/_base_override/admin/pages files were copied over correctly. Can you give me the list of files in that folder on your site?
  • Can you tell me if you have any overriding files? Go to views/[YOUR_TEMPLATE]/admin/pages/ and tell me if you have files in there. If you do, please tell me which files are in there?
  • Can you download your site's version of the page views/_base_override/admin/pages/site_bioform_one.php and tell me if you have the lines:

This has to be something weird with the view files. If there would have been a problem with the controllers, the page would have crashed completely.

If the view files are there, this is what you should see:

application/views/_base_override/admin/pages has two files...

admin_index.php (the seamless substitution file with my cbox code in it)
site_bioform_one.php

Not certain what YOUR_TEMPLATE refers to in views/[YOUR_TEMPLATE]/admin/pages/ ... Sorry.

Yes, site_bioform_one.php has the below lines.

mooeypoo Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:50 pm

What is the name of your template?

In views/ folder, you should have _base_verride and also a folder for your template. The only way I can think of where this won't appear like it should, is if your template folder has that page too. So "YOUR_TEMPLATE" will be the name of rthe folder for the skin you are using.

If this doesn't work, I'll need access to your nova, maybe even your FTP to verify.

Stormwolfe Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:38 pm

The only file in the /pages under the skin I'm using is

index.html

Thanks again... Jer

Next

Return to Nova MODs