Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

Character Picture Handling

A place to show off (and others to download) completed MODs. Note: support for MODs is handled by third parties, not Anodyne Productions.

Dola chi-Trei Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:07 am

Character Picture Handling

Hello.

I was hoping to see if there was a mod available for use with Nova that would allow Nova to handle character biography images the way SMS used to handle them, that is to say with a link to the image rather than an upload as well as an automatic re-sizing of the image when the gallery is clicked, depending on every user's individual screen resolution settings.

Reasons for why I'd prefer the old way over the new way and what I want it for my game:
  • When using the Nova image management screen, I have see the total number of character images ever uploaded for that site. Even though my images are displayed on top, that gets to be a lot considering I have several NPCs, most of which have several pictures for them. While you guys may think that's over the top, I've seen other sims do that before, so I know it's not just me. Seeing all those images it not only confusing but also load-time intensive.
  • When trying to sequence my character images in Nova I have experienced trouble several times. One thing that would happen occasionally was that when I click the "Update" button in the "Images" tab the pictures on the bio will completely disappear. I had to go in and add them again. I'm also having a problem with sequencing the images properly so that they will appear in the order I want them to appear in. With SMS, all I have to do is bulk-upload the images to my server, with my generic FTP client, and could then put the links up there in exactly the order I wanted them to be in and that would be the end of my worries.
  • Nova does not re-size the images once you click on the gallery to view them. Now there is a size limit in what you can and cannot upload, but that's not really doing for me what I'd like it to be doing. I am a big fan of larger pictures, where you can see details. I like to put up bigger pictures so one can see some more detail. That's especially helpful with images that have been photoshopped, where, for example, you'd like to get a little closer look on Trill spots, for example, or when the character has scars. I was very happy with the way SMS did this, because it would always blow up the picture to the size of your screen settings, and then you could right-click on the picture and display it outside of the SMS framework if you wanted more detail somewhere. For me, operating more than one computer with different screen resolutions, this has always been very helpful, I would get to see the general idea with the scaled version of the picture, medium quality on my smaller screens and good quality on my larger, man monitor.

All in all, I'd like the way SMS handled things back. For me, it's easier to work with, especially on larger games and larger images.

Is there a mod that exists that does this, or if not, can one be made? I'd be happy to try my luck modding it myself, but I'd need a few pointers as to what piece of code to stick where.

AgentPhoenix Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:28 am

Re: Character Picture Handling

The lightbox issue will be resolved in Nova 1.1 when we drop ColorBox in favor of FancyBox. It will auto-resize images on the fly.

Dola chi-Trei Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:08 am

That's nice to know. :)

I've noticed that, when upgrading from SMS to Nova, character picture links used in SMS will remain in Nova and can continue to be used, and updated by replacing the same picture with a new version (e.g. to add a rank pip to the uniform because of a promotion).

Is there any chance of tweaking Nova so that it'll also accept new links, rather than having to upload the picture through the site? It would really help me a lot is that were possible.

AgentPhoenix Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:13 am

That's not within the scope of changes being made for any Nova 1.x releases. I'll look at it for Nova 2, but not before then. It's just too big of a piece to address now.

Dola chi-Trei Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:25 am

Hmm, then would me copying part of the old code used by SMS into a Nova file give me something similar, or would that just screw the file up and cause problems?

AgentPhoenix Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 am

It isn't a simple copy and paste. You'd have to re-write the way Nova handles those types of images.

Return to Nova MODs