Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

awSimReport Generator [MOD]

A place to show off (and others to download) completed MODs. Note: support for MODs is handled by third parties, not Anodyne Productions.

Redhawk Mon May 31, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: awSimReport Generator [MOD]

Totally cool reporting mod! Thanks for making it available on the Anodyne forum. I just uploaded it, made some changes in my template, and ran a test generation. It works fine as far as the product goes, but I received the following errors:

---

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Filename: models/awesimreport_model.php

Line Number: 53

---

Severity: Warning

Message: date() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given

Filename: controllers/report.php

Line Number: 376

---

---

The data still showed on the generated report, and I received the email, so it did what I wanted to do even with the errors.

mooeypoo Mon May 31, 2010 5:27 pm

Redhawk wrote:Totally cool reporting mod! Thanks for making it available on the Anodyne forum. I just uploaded it, made some changes in my template, and ran a test generation. It works fine as far as the product goes, but I received the following errors:

---

---

---

---

The data still showed on the generated report, and I received the email, so it did what I wanted to do even with the errors.

Where are you getting this message? After you hit 'generate'?

This line deals with the hour differences. Can you tell me what you set up in the "sim hour" and "sim duration"?
Find my Nova MODs: https://github.com/mooeypoo

mooeypoo Mon May 31, 2010 5:37 pm

One more thing - I just pushed minor adjustments to the two controllers. Can you make sure your version is up to date?

http://bitbucket.org/mooeypoo/nova-mod-awsimreport

There's no date() function in that line number in the controller version that I have.. that might fix it. But I have a feeling it has something to do with the input in the sim time, still. What are your inputs there?

Redhawk Mon May 31, 2010 5:59 pm

Ah, maybe that's the case then... I have nothing in that line, since I don't use that function. Our sim has only recently transferred over from mailing list, so I wasn't sure what to do with that section. Adding in a specific time (00:00 to 24:00) has cleared up a lot of it.

And, yes, I was generating the report when those came up.

I'm still receiving the following error upon generation:

---

---

I'll make certain I have an updated file -- I downloaded it last Friday, and just didn't have time to get it on the site until today.

*edit* -- uploaded the new files, but I must have done something incorrectly... I ended up with about six screens worth of errors before I got to the report generator itself, with two more errors in the entry fields. So, I removed it all, and reset the controllers to 'factory original'...

I'll give it another go tomorrow.

mooeypoo Mon May 31, 2010 7:40 pm

Make sure there's something in the fields anyways (don't keep them empty). You can remove them from the template by just not using their tags, but for the sake of the system, make sure something's in there.

About the other error.. uh.. see if they repeat after you update the versions, I will have more chance to check what goes wrong when we're both using the same version.

~mooey

mooeypoo Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Redhawk, is the problem fixed? Did you get the mod to work or are there still problems?

Jon Wade Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:55 pm

This is a great MOD idea and I love the principal behind it.

I was hoping before I install it as a test bed for the fleet I am part of if this mod works with the newest release version of Nova 1?

If it is and my run is successful you could have up to 12 simulations using it, which make a great test bed.

matthew Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Hey, i have just tried to down load the report form and i have created an account and it is telling me that i dont have access to the wiki... am i doing something really dumb and missing a step or something?!

matt

mooeypoo Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:11 am

matthew wrote:Hey, i have just tried to down load the report form and i have created an account and it is telling me that i dont have access to the wiki... am i doing something really dumb and missing a step or something?!

matt

What wiki? Can you tell me where you're getting the error, and copy paste the entire text of the error?

I will be upgrading this mod at some point, but with my school load, I am likely going to wait for Nova 2 to be out before I do that; while my version works in the new Nova 1 release, there might be some compatibility issues since I didn't fully test the installation on the new couple of releases.

Try to see if you can give me the exact error and when does it happen (after installation? when you click the link?) The mod should not touch the wiki at all, so this seems really odd.

mooeypoo Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:39 am

So, while it will take me a while to do the actual re-coding (and some streamlining and fixes), I plan to rewrite and upgrade awSimReport mod.

If anyone has any requests, ideas, features or bug reports, PLEASE let me know now. I'm now in the process of creating the "TODO" list and prioritizing it while I clean up the code a bit.

A glimpse of future planning - I am considering changing the CKEditor with something else, that allows for BOTH html and wysiwyg, adding preview options to template editor *and* to the report itself, abiilty to save report data so you can go back to it, adding the ability to work with (and choose from) multiple rosters, send to specific list, have text and html version for better emailing, etc etc.

Feel free to suggest ideas or tell me about bugs or missing features. I'll add them to the list.

~mooey

Stormwolfe Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:55 am

This looks like an awesome tool and I am toying with the idea of installing it at my four games. Unfortunately, none of them are Star Trek (Stargate, Babylon 5, Criminal Minds, and S.H.I.E.L.D.)...but this would still be a great way to communicate to the Players en masse. Also another nail in the lid of the forum coffin - would love to gradually be able to do everything from Nova and delete the forums.

Once I get up the nerve...I'll install it (Totally tech challenged here).

If the titles/wording is somewhat modifiable with some ease, that would be the only change/update I would need. A way to customize it to each of my game genres.

Great Work!

~ Jer

mooeypoo Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:27 am

Jericho wrote:This looks like an awesome tool and I am toying with the idea of installing it at my four games. Unfortunately, none of them are Star Trek (Stargate, Babylon 5, Criminal Minds, and S.H.I.E.L.D.)...but this would still be a great way to communicate to the Players en masse.

Jericho, I tried to make this platform as general as I could, but I admit, my own experience is strictly "star trek" based --- so please, I'd really like to know if you have any suggestions or comments as to what to change in the tool to have it fit *any* format.

Is it just wording ("CO address" etc?) or do you think there's a new feature that should be added or made optional? I added the option to add and remove sections yourself, which means that instead of "CO Address" you can call it "Captain's Notice" or "Joint Chief of Staff Speaks" or whatever else you wish. The log-counter has "E/U/P" for "Excused/Unexcused/Present" codes, which I'm not sure if used in any other simulation/games.

Any suggestions on that front?
I'd love to be able to make the tool as available and comfortable for all formats and games, even if it means making the settings page longer but giving the users more options to pick from.

Also another nail in the lid of the forum coffin - would love to gradually be able to do everything from Nova and delete the forums.

Once I get up the nerve...I'll install it (Totally tech challenged here).

That's another thing I'm toying with -- some improvements on installation. It will take a bit of tweaking on my part and some creative coding, but I will try and see if I can make the updates easier rather than have you copy/paste chunks of code into files that might have other tweaks in them already.

If you do end up installing the mod, I'd love input on how easy or hard the installation was for you. I didn't get any major feedback on that yet other than occasional fixes.

If the titles/wording is somewhat modifiable with some ease, that would be the only change/update I would need. A way to customize it to each of my game genres.

Great Work!

~ Jer

The section titles are ALL modifiable -- you can add and remove sections and add your own, and the templates are customized... just remember to add your own "tags" for your own sections in the tempalte (but this you only need to do ONCE, then it's automatically generated).

I am also thinking about streamlining the templating too, making it automatically generated out of the chosen fields, but I'm still trying to organize that better.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome. I want this as general as possible and as easy to use as possible.

Thanks!

~mooey

AgentPhoenix Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:35 am

Just a heads up and friendly suggestion: when the time comes to start working on this, your best bet is to do the work off the 2.0/develop (or 2.0/master if it exists at that point ... hasn't been created yet) branch on Github so that you're using the latest code instead of building off of Nova 1 and having to do all kinds of work again to get it to work in Nova 2. There may also be the option of using routes and psuedo-modules for your stuff to separate it out and make updating a lot easier. We talk about that kind of stuff when the time comes if you want.

Stormwolfe Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:45 am

mooeypoo wrote:Jericho, I tried to make this platform as general as I could, but I admit, my own experience is strictly "star trek" based --- so please, I'd really like to know if you have any suggestions or comments as to what to change in the tool to have it fit *any* format.

I'll absolutely give it some thought as soon as I get up the nerve to install the mod and play with it. Since I've never seen it in action, this might take me a couple of days to respond to.

mooeypoo wrote:Is it just wording ("CO address" etc?) or do you think there's a new feature that should be added or made optional? I added the option to add and remove sections yourself, which means that instead of "CO Address" you can call it "Captain's Notice" or "Joint Chief of Staff Speaks" or whatever else you wish. The log-counter has "E/U/P" for "Excused/Unexcused/Present" codes, which I'm not sure if used in any other simulation/games.

Any suggestions on that front?

If I understand the mod's layout, then yes. Just need to make minor verbiage changes. Example: Instead of CO Address to From the Director's Desk (for S.H.I.E.L.D.) or for Criminal Minds it might change to Director's Memorandum.

mooeypoo wrote:I'd love to be able to make the tool as available and comfortable for all formats and games, even if it means making the settings page longer but giving the users more options to pick from.

Speaking as the Nova Technical Village Idiot, any form settings additions would make my life easier. It's not that I mind the work of making such changes, it's that I tend to break lots of stuff along the way resulting in more work for you guys as I whine for help. *grins*

Also, we have a multi-GM system at all my games, so having form settings that they could tweak if they had to send out a report would be great.

mooeypoo wrote:That's another thing I'm toying with -- some improvements on installation. It will take a bit of tweaking on my part and some creative coding, but I will try and see if I can make the updates easier rather than have you copy/paste chunks of code into files that might have other tweaks in them already.

If you do end up installing the mod, I'd love input on how easy or hard the installation was for you. I didn't get any major feedback on that yet other than occasional fixes.

This bit would be a complete life saver for me although I'll give you feedback on how hard it was to install for a total NOOB once I get going. Again, for those that are tech savvy, I'm sure it's a breeze. For those that aren't, like me, it's a wee bit challenging and way scary.

mooeypoo wrote:The section titles are ALL modifiable -- you can add and remove sections and add your own, and the templates are customized... just remember to add your own "tags" for your own sections in the template (but this you only need to do ONCE, then it's automatically generated).

See... *laughs*, adding my own tags right now is Greek although once I download and work on the mod, I'm sure it'll make sense. So if you need input from a person that really has zero idea what they are doing 1/2 the time, I'm that person! Glad to help even!

mooeypoo wrote:I am also thinking about streamlining the templating too, making it automatically generated out of the chosen fields, but I'm still trying to organize that better.

Way cool! Mucking with templates terrifies me.

mooeypoo wrote:Any and all suggestions would be welcome. I want this as general as possible and as easy to use as possible.

Thanks!

~mooey

I'll keep a running document on what I come across as I install the mod. Not being a coder, some of my suggestions may be a tad out there so understand the ones that get laughed out of town.

Thanks for the Response!

Regards.... Jer

Stormwolfe Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:54 pm

Mooeypoo,

I installed the mod, but on a clean Nova test/dev site, not on any of my live games. I have made no modifications to it at this time.

It appears to be running with no errors or issues although I need to experiment a tad more.

Changes I Need to Make...

• Some verbiage changes are needed to make it more compatible with my sims' genres.
  • Unsure about any template or "tags" changes as of yet although I'm sure if I were to add it to my live sites, some would be needed.

The basic install on a clean site was easy, the instructions were clear. More feedback on this if I decide to add it to one of my live sites. I'd like to work on the above mentioned modifications before I do that as my sites already have some mods that I don't want damaged.

Thanks and Regards,

Jericho

PreviousNext

Return to Nova MODs