Important Notice: Effective immediately, all support will be handled through Discord. Read more about the changes coming to Anodyne's services.

awSimReport Generator [MOD]

A place to show off (and others to download) completed MODs. Note: support for MODs is handled by third parties, not Anodyne Productions.

mooeypoo Thu May 13, 2010 11:44 pm

awSimReport Generator [MOD]

Hey guys,

So, finally I had time to migrate my standalone tool for weekly sim reports into Nova. The result is the new mod "awSimReport Generator".

General Purpose: Many sim organizations send out a weekly/monthly/periodic sim report that summarizes the logs that were written, the plot, some words from the CO/XO, etc. It's getting very annoying making these manually every week, and most of the information is automatically generated in Nova anyways. So I went ahead and created a mod for it.

This mod appears under "Reports" menu in the control panel.

The mod is simple enough - it counts logs by the users according to the timeframe that was set in the nova settings, accepts fields like "words from the CO/XO", "plot briefing", and "sim transcript" for sims that run on IRC.

The finished report is displayed and sent by mail to the user who's building it. Then, the user can forward it to whatever list the entire sim is on. This is done as a failsafe, to let the generating user verify the report looks okay. In future releases, I can add an option to send it directly to the system mail or to the entire list of users.

I tried to make the mod as scallable as possible: it's using templates for the mail reports. There are tags (%repofficer%, %date%, etc) that you can put anywhere you want in either a text-based template or an html-based template.
If you don't want a 'words from the co' you can just leave the field empty and not use the tag.

Here are a few of the future ideas for the mod:
- adding/removing templates.
- making a public archive of reports
- adding the ability to make custom tags (adding fields and assigning tags to them).
And more.. and more...

This mod was tested on Nova 1.0.3 and shown to work successfully. I only had one tester, though, I'd love to see if people can check the mod out and see if it's helpful and if they have any suggestions or features I might not have thought of.

NOTE: I added FCKEditor to awSimReport Generator, so the mod is relatively big. I'm thinking of creating a separate mod to add FCKEditor in general to Nova. If I do that, I might create a separate version of awSimReport without FCKEditor. Since the generator supports html templates, I thought a richtext editor is useful.

Get the mod (and follow the repository/updates) here:
http://bitbucket.org/mooeypoo/nova-mod- ... /wiki/Home

Another Note: I'm a college senior and we have final exams right now (for the next two weeks). I am usually fast in responding, but I might be tough to reach in those two weeks, so I apologize in advance if I am. Send me a note either here or in PM and I'll answer as soon as I can.

Also, this is my first Nova mod, so be kind ;)

Hope you guys like it!

~mooeypoo

SOME SCREENSHOTS
(the mod is template-less.. so it will fit your site's view):

The Generator:

Settings:

Template Editor

Tags

Last edited by mooeypoo on Mon May 17, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Find my Nova MODs: https://github.com/mooeypoo

AgentPhoenix Fri May 14, 2010 5:48 am

Re: awSimReport Generator [MOD]

Congrats on finishing this!

mooeypoo wrote:NOTE: I added FCKEditor to awSimReport Generator, so the mod is relatively big. I'm thinking of creating a separate mod to add FCKEditor in general to Nova. If I do that, I might create a separate version of awSimReport without FCKEditor. Since the generator supports html templates, I thought a richtext editor is useful.

Just out of curiosity, why not just use markItUp that's already included in the system and used in Thresher?

mooeypoo Fri May 14, 2010 10:12 am

AgentPhoenix wrote:Congrats on finishing this!

Ah, yes! Thanks :) Took a bit, but I think it came out decent.

Just out of curiosity, why not just use markItUp that's already included in the system and used in Thresher?

Honestly, it was a mix of laziness and comfort ;)

In the original 'awSimReport' (the stand-alone version) I used FCKEditor, so when I migrated to a Nova mod, I just kept it out of habit. Honestly, I didn't know about MarkItUp until it was too late.. there's no real reason. I had it marked as a "to do" point for myself to check the option of using it from the Thresher system but I kept prioritizing bugs and fixes on top of it.

It actually seems like there's no good reason not to use MarkItUp (other than me knowing FCKEditor more 8) ) seeing also that it's supposed to be native to jQuery.

I'll update the ToDo list, and get into it after the exams are over.

~mooey

AgentPhoenix Fri May 14, 2010 10:34 am

No biggie, was just curious, that's all.

mooeypoo Sat May 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Hmm.... I am trying to switch from FCKEditor to MarkItUp (have a bit of time here and there between studying for exams ;) ) but I ran into a bit of a problem I can't figure out.

I replaced the link to FCKEditor files with the MarkItUp files in the views/_base_override/admin/js/report_awesimreport_js.php file:
Code: Select all
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo base_url() . APPFOLDER;?>/assets/js/markitup/skins/simple/style.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo base_url() . APPFOLDER;?>/assets/js/markitup/sets/html/style.css" />

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo base_url() . APPFOLDER;?>/assets/js/markitup/jquery.markitup.js"></script>
      <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo base_url() . APPFOLDER;?>/assets/js/markitup/sets/html/set.js"></script>

Then commented out all references to FCKEditor and made sure the code fits my original 'class' for the textareas (in the same file):

Inside the jQuery $(document).ready(function() { segment:

$('.ckeditor').markItUp(mySettings);

I left it as 'ckeditor' just to see if it works with as little change as possible.. obviously, changing the class to .markitup later will be a breeze.

The textareas are getting the MarkItUp toolbar just fine, but the text inside them isn't parsed right. That is, when I write something and click on "bulleted list", the textarea now has <ul> in it instead of showing the bullet list.

Same happens with the 'Sim Rules' textarea (in the settings tab) - that text is pulled out of the sql database with full html, but I see the unparsed html instead of seeing a bulleted list of the rules.

Any ideas? I compared my js file to the one used in Thresher, couldn't find anything that I forgot... seems like a weird error. It works, just not completely.

Ideas?

Thanks!

~mooey

EDIT: I noticed the same happens when I edit something in the wiki. Is that normal for MarkItUp!? If that's the case, maybe I should stick to FCKeditor, whose display is wysiwyg-style.. visual... seems much more comfortable....

AgentPhoenix Sat May 15, 2010 7:41 pm

That's the way it's supposed to be. CKEditor and TinyMCE are just too large to justify putting them into the Nova core.

mooeypoo Sat May 15, 2010 9:30 pm

AgentPhoenix wrote:That's the way it's supposed to be. CKEditor and TinyMCE are just too large to justify putting them into the Nova core.

Oh, okay, yeah I don't know if anyone/everyone would want a wysiwyg editor, but if I already put it in, I think i'll leave it in for comfort. I was thinking of creating a FCKEditor mod anyways, and the files will be in the same directory anyways.

Also, when I added it I was really too lazy, I included *everything* (including "samples" directory and plugins probably no one needs). I'll run a bit of a cleanup, and will probably free up a bit of space.

I might eventually run a little poll (if I have enough users to check the mod out ;) ) to ask people if they see value in the FCKEditor's wysiwyg abilities or if I should just stick to the pretty decent and probably sufficient MarkItUp. Go by the crowd, that's always helpful.

~mooey

mooeypoo Mon May 17, 2010 1:30 pm

Mod UPDATED

New update released:
http://bitbucket.org/mooeypoo/nova-mod- ... 89bb222f8a

Added custom tags for the templates, with custom fields. You can now add as many text fields (or textarea) as you want into your report generator, assign them a tag for the template.

Please be careful not to change the SYSTEM TAGS - they can only be changed directly through the SQL, on purpose. Don't touch them unless you know what you're doing.

If you're updating the version from a previous changeset, please beware of the changed sql tables. If you're upgrading from a previous changeset, go to 'Overview' tab on bitbucket, and click the << arrows at the head of the table to open "diff" tool. You can compare your version there and see how to upgrade.

Enjoy the new release, and I'd love to have some feedback on this mod!

~moo

mooeypoo Mon May 17, 2010 3:15 pm

Added screenshots.

Lord_Trekie Wed May 26, 2010 2:23 am

This mod looks quite amazing Mooey, sadly I don't have a use for it on my Nova installations or I would set it up in a heartbeat. Congratulations. 8)

mooeypoo Wed May 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Lord_Trekie wrote:This mod looks quite amazing Mooey, sadly I don't have a use for it on my Nova installations or I would set it up in a heartbeat. Congratulations. 8)

Hey Lord Trekie, thanks for teh compliments. I think it's very useful for my own needs, but I really need others to test and play with it. I'm hoping someone from the forum will and give me some feedback.

BTW -- I recently updated the mod again (last update for a while unless people report bugs) -- added public archive of the reports with an admin cp that allows you to unpublish archive items or hide them.

Enjoy it :)

~moo

Lord_Trekie Wed May 26, 2010 11:21 pm

Hehe, if Nova had been around a year and a half ago it would have been a perfect time for me to give it a live practical test for you, right now though I think I can possibly make something work out, so I'll give it a whirl and get back to you as soon as I can. :P

Hmm... Could be tied to my not using Nova 1.0.4 yet?
http://tf-575.com/images/random/awreport1.jpg

mooeypoo Thu May 27, 2010 1:07 am

Lord_Trekie wrote:Hehe, if Nova had been around a year and a half ago it would have been a perfect time for me to give it a live practical test for you, right now though I think I can possibly make something work out, so I'll give it a whirl and get back to you as soon as I can. :P

Hmm... Could be tied to my not using Nova 1.0.4 yet?
http://tf-575.com/images/random/awreport1.jpg

OOOPS!!!!!! Sorry about that, I forgot to add the new table to the new sql file (i corrected that in the package in the repository).

You should run this in your SQL:

--
-- Table structure for table `nova_awreport_archive`
--

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `nova_awreport_archive`;
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `nova_awreport_archive` (
  `arch_id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `arch_date_start` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `arch_date_end` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `arch_repofficer` text NOT NULL,
  `arch_repofficer_userid` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `arch_content` text NOT NULL,
  `arch_display` enum('y','n') NOT NULL default 'y',
  `arch_date_generated` int(11) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`arch_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=32 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=32 ;

Sorry 'bout that!

Lord_Trekie Thu May 27, 2010 2:55 am

No worries Mooey, seems to work fine now. :) It is truly a wonderful tool and mod, and I think beyond what you already plan to do to it there's nothing really that I would suggest adding to it's functionality.

mooeypoo Thu May 27, 2010 11:31 am

Lord_Trekie wrote:No worries Mooey, seems to work fine now. :) It is truly a wonderful tool and mod, and I think beyond what you already plan to do to it there's nothing really that I would suggest adding to it's functionality.

Great, thanks for the feedback! I think now all that's left is bug-flushing (I've been doing that, but you know how it is when the programmer tests their own code ;). And then just see if I get fancy ideas to add and play, or just move on to the next mod.

Thanks for the kind words! glad you like it :)

~mooey

Next

Return to Nova MODs